Caught a Huge Gar.... Mount?

Hey guys, I got a 55 1/2 inch longnose gar the other day in Canada, which came up just shy of the Canadian record in weight, even while it happened to be 5 inches longer. Regardless of if it would have been a record or not, I wanted to release it. So my question is, does anyone know of anyone who would do a replica mount of a gar that size? Only places I know now will do it for around $1000. It's truly a special fish, and a once in a lifetime catch, so I want to get a replica made sometime within the next year if I can find someone who does good work for a reasonable price.IMG_4357.JPGIMG_4359.JPGIMG_4360.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

PS: obviously this was not caught in the finger lakes, since I said it was in Canada, but I didn't know where to post it so that's why it's here in the Finger lakes forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Great fish tman.

I had a 46" replica done of one I caught at Chautauqua a couple years ago. it was really difficult finding a taxidermy guy to do it and it was pretty pricey (worth it to me though).  apparently the hard part is finding mold that size and that species.  if you want my guys info let me know.  he is in Springville and did a great job.  From my crappy memory, I think the going rate is $15-18/inch.  

Berk

Thanks guys. Berk, I sent you a PM. Generally they will hit cranks if you can find them.

Beagler,  its probably cheating but I use a rope lure.  No hooks.  Their mouths are very bony and it is very difficult to get a hook in there.   Their teeth get tangled in the rope and they roll to get more tangled.  to make lure, take 4-6' piece of rope and tie off one end and about 1" down.  I use zip ties.  then unravel the rest of the rope.  to attach it to your line, straighten a jig head and thread that through the middle of the tied off end and then bend hook back into the tied off part over the bottom zip tie.  sometimes they have to hit lure a few times before it is frayed enough for them to stick.  if/when you get one, id recommend wearing a glove on account of the gigantic sharp teeth and sticking something in their mouth so you can keep it open to untangle (they can breath air so keeping them out of the water for a couple minutes to do this shouldn't kill them).  way easier.  Credit for this method goes to my brother (he posts here as ericmic1 I think) who found this somewhere online.  

super fun to catch.  they hit hard and fight hard.

I'm doing several right now. Your is a giant considering it's from the north.
Check my website at www.anglerschoicefishmounts.com
Call me if you have questions.
I have a gorgeous mold that size.

Thanks guys. Yea these fish are a blast. I got back to back 47s before this one, and they really do fight good

Beagler,  its probably cheating but I use a rope lure.  No hooks.  Their mouths are very bony and it is very difficult to get a hook in there.   Their teeth get tangled in the rope and they roll to get more tangled.  to make lure, take 4-6' piece of rope and tie off one end and about 1" down.  I use zip ties.  then unravel the rest of the rope.  to attach it to your line, straighten a jig head and thread that through the middle of the tied off end and then bend hook back into the tied off part over the bottom zip tie.  sometimes they have to hit lure a few times before it is frayed enough for them to stick.  if/when you get one, id recommend wearing a glove on account of the gigantic sharp teeth and sticking something in their mouth so you can keep it open to untangle (they can breath air so keeping them out of the water for a couple minutes to do this shouldn't kill them).  way easier.  Credit for this method goes to my brother (he posts here as ericmic1 I think) who found this somewhere online.  

super fun to catch.  they hit hard and fight hard.

Thanks, I have tons of them by my boat, but wasn't able to get any.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

@gmbeagler44 when you get into them they are a blast. Just a pain if you try to net them. Make sure you get heavy duty gloves and if you choose to net them, the wider the holes on the net the better