Tree trimming

So I live in Greece and today the town hired a local tree company to trim trees near or affecting power lines. I get it, it needs to be done. They did a long stretch of the road I live on including one of my trees.

You guys tell me, I'm I wrong to think they went overboard on one of mine? If they are going to cut off 75% of it shouldn't they just take the whole thing?

IMG_2172.JPGIMG_2173.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

So should I be talking to the town or the company that did what the signs on the road said were "trimming". If you're taking that much out, with no warning, take out what's left. Did they stack up the logs next to it because they thought I'd like them or because it's my job to get rid of them?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I would ask if the town has any type of Tree Ordinance.

Your tree seems more like it was topped not trimmed.  Topping a tree like this creates a situation for the tree to become diseased, open to decay, and/or open to bugs.

Sometimes municipalities allow this to happen so you will then have to apply for a tree removal permit.

The good municipalities will work with you.

they did the trees at my place too . they clean up the brush and left the cut up logs too, they sat there for two weeks, then i gave the logs to a guy that burns wood . people on the road still have piles of wood in there yard after 6 weeks now . so i would say the logs are yours to clean up and yes they sure do leave a ugly tree when they are done . i ask the tree cutter to  even up the tree he said they only contract to open up the power lines ... 

The rep from the tree company says that RG&E sent letters out some time ago and that I probably threw it out. Could be possible.
It looks terrible, waiting for the arborist from RG&E to call me back.

I don't want to burst your bubble but you probably are not going to get anywhere with the company. I've been involved with the tree care business for a long time and owned my own business for 10 years. The utility company owns the right away and they have only 1 goal in mind and that is risk reduction of there utility's. Any part of the tree that is in the right away they can cut and usually will cut they are not interested in ethstetics more do they care if you are happy with how the tree looks. They won't cut the rest of the tree on there dime because it is not there responsibility I agree with all of the statements you have made but in reality they won't come back and fix it. The right away is from the ground to infinity and if they are in there right away the haven't done anything wrong. Be thankful that they removed the brush. The utility company in my area if the limbs and brush aren't roadside they will leave it in the right away. I have had to clean many yards up after the utility company's have gone threw. Like I said it's all risk reduction and they want to protect the utility's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Great info, I appreciate it.
I am however going to push one of the parties to take down the tree.
Worst thing to happen is I take it down myself. Too bad, I liked that tree.

lily is right. I used to work for Asplundh Tree Experts a long time ago and we did the trimming for the NYS Gas and Electric at the time. We usually did not trim tree limbs as radically as that pic depicts very often. I assume however in thisday and age of the profit motive being the main factor underlying much of our culture the electric company is trying to save money by not having folks come back any time soon....cost cutting at the expense of aesthetics basically. If they had taken the whole tree without written owner permission  rather than the limbs in the right of way they could have been sued for tree replacement etc. in civil court... this way there are no grounds for a potential lawsuit as they were acting lawfully and within company guidelines. A lot of folks don't realize it but towns and cities also have right of way access to a few feet from the curbing into folks lawns as well.

Edited by Sk8man

I understand your frustration 100 percent I just wouldn't be surprised if your fighting a losing battle. Good luck. If it is a small local company that did the work they might come back to save face. But if it's a national company you won't get any where. Good luck

Reading some replies and looking at those pics I would fight that battle. Trimming was way over board and then to leave the logs for someone else to clean up? Nah. Not buying it. That private property was defaced. They send out notices because they have to. Most people dont respond thinking power companies have that right. Tree limbs growing into power lines is an act of god

Not to argue but they let right away if the so desire they can dug it up and put all the utilities underground and there is nothing that anyone can do. They could also dig it up and put about he utility like say natural gas under ground nothing can be done. Drive around there are hacked up trees all over. They are not interested in esthetics esthetics don't keep them from coming back at 2am because the tree took down the lines. I'm not defending the company that did this in any way. I think that there is a lot of things they do that are just down right wrong. But time is money wam bam thank you mam and on to the next one. Like I said he should be happy they didn't leave the brush in the right away. And if I was to bet if he finds out the size of the right away the wood wa probably left in the right away too. Like I said it isn't right but it is the way it is

The company that did the work is large and local. I'm going to talk to RG&E but if I don't get them to take the tree down I'm going back to the company that did the work. They have an impressive website and a very good reputation. For the amount it would take to remove the tree I would think it would make more sense than a couple bad online reviews on social media.
Guess we'll have to see.

21 hours ago, TileMan Dan said:

They need to seek permission before trimming trees. You should get them back to remove tree and replace it.

At least in the City, the permission to trim comes with the easement.  I've been told they have 10 feet on either side of the tree, looks like the remainder of your tree was outside that.  With mine last year, they left 50% and it is in the 10 feet, I've got a surgeon coming to tell me if I should hassle the power company or just suck it up.  You are responsible for removing the wood, in my case it is balancing the remainder of the tree, which is heading toward the house.  The Company (not going to say it), said they trusted we would find their crews very efficient, they were, just like Sherman going through Atlanta, or Grant through Richmond! 

So last week I talked with a manager at Birchcrest, the company that did the trimming. She gave me the number for Kevin, the arborist at RGE that was in charge of the job. Kevin called me this afternoon and was awesome. An hour later Birchcrest was back and took what was left of the tree down. Very happy with both companies as well as the representatives I dealt with.

Cool thing is I never had to go above nice. Can't say I wasn't surprised. If anyone wants the firewood pm me. It's cut and stacked neatly near the road.
It's Box Elder.