Seneca noob

Hello all! Just bought a 1990 Lund. I'm keeping it at roys marina. Was wondering what I should purchase to get started trolling for lakers/any salmonoid really. I have a hummingbird depth finder. My motor is a 70hp johnson. Wondering if there is anything I could do to slow it down as well. Also I have tried jigging not much luck. My best success was all on. 1-1/4 oz bomber white spoon. 1 rainbow landlocked and 2 lakers. Not all in one trip( I wish). Any help and tips in both areas of fishing would be much appreciated! Thank you guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You are at the right spot. Talk with Larry Japp, he will help you or send you to the right guys at the marina who will get you on the right track for trout and salmon. Just don't ask any questions about the perch fishing and you will be fine.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Hop said:

:lol:"Just don't ask any questions about the perch fishing and you will be fine."

The trolling bags are the simplest way to go and are worth testing out before going to other more intensive options such as a trolling plate installed on the motor.The bags are relatively inexpensive and easy to deploy and retrieve and should get our speed down where you want it. PM me with any questions regarding the fishing itself and I'll try to answer them for you.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jigging is a blast. Cast a 1 oz (sharp) jig with Chartreuse Lunker City Shaker downwind while you drift.  Watch your ff. As a  laker comes off the bottom, start reeling just before he gets to your jig and hold on. 

Really anywhere north of Roys in 90-120 fow has worked for me jigging lakers in the past. Probably south also but I launch at the north end. Look for laker marks on your ff below 60 feet. but note that 75% of lakers are right on the bottom and you do not see them until you drop your jig down to them.

If you google "The Cayuga Fisher" you will find a tutorial on jigging done by Hermit on this site. Also I buy all my jigs (super sharp) and paddletails from him. Good luck.