bannanas

bannanas

As a fisherman from the finger lakes,I was asked by some friends that went to the Big O,what is wrong with eatting bannanas on a charter up there?I have no problem catching fish eatting bannanas down here on my boat. Any help would be nice. Thank you

First time I heard of the superstition was in a Pat McManus story called The Claw of the Sea Puss. He had such a bad experience on a charter boat that he mutinied by eating a banana.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

I read an article from a scientist once that said that there is some possible reasoning to the superstition. They located an enzyme or something like that in the skin of the banana that fish did not like the scent of. I will look around to see if I can relocate the article on the web.

Bananas are full of potassium, which is an electrolyte that's used to maintain cell membrane potentials. Too much potassium causes neuronal depolarization. Hence, eating bananas can trigger random firing events, which is the root cause of people doing really stupid things. I blame everything stupid that I do on bananas...and I don't bring them on the boat.

I should be out fishing. Electric issues on the big boat and the threat of storms kept me home. I was going to get an early start on trimming the bushes in the yard, but it's thunderstorm'd all morning so far. So yeah, I've had a few coffees...

Starlings come down the chimney every once in a while.  this is the only superstition that I follow because if it is real there is a consequence.  if it is false I still got the bird out my house in a timely manner.  win win.

I told my cousin to leave the bananas at home and I have no idea if the fishing got better or not.  Definitely not noticeable.  He was surprised when I told him about it.

I worked off the coast of Maryland a few years back on a 150' research boat- I asked the captain about the banana thing and he told me it had to do with the frequency of the boats hauling tropical fruit back in time and how often they went down trying to get their products to markets- regardless no bananas ever make it on my boat

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I gotta tell my story. Took a guy from my town brown fishing on Otsego lake/Glimmerglass the first week of May a few years back.(First time we ever fished together) While getting underway and putting the top up he breaks the guide off to the bimini support . I put out the planner boards and while he's having coffee and donuts, I'm CONSISTANTLY cleaning off EVERY line from weeds. That morning we also had 3 inches of snow which was actually pretty cool. Here I am apologizing at the north end (7+ miles) that I have never ever seen weeds in the spring time. Then he asks me if I'm superstitious... I said what is that suppose to mean? He replies, I brought bananas in my cooler. I pulled everything and headed back to the dock then told him to throw them out or put them in the truck. He came back and said you know I never caught a laker before. Took him out to 40fow and dropped 2 leadcore with sutton spoons and 10 minutes later we doubled up, took a picture and headed home. I made the call to head home because I think he knew, I had an attitude and who the hell brings 6 bananas fishing.

22 minutes ago, brownie787 said:

I gotta tell my story. Took a guy from my town brown fishing on Otsego lake/Glimmerglass the first week of May a few years back.(First time we ever fished together) While getting underway and putting the top up he breaks the guide off to the bimini support . I put out the planner boards and while he's having coffee and donuts, I'm CONSISTANTLY cleaning off EVERY line from weeds. That morning we also had 3 inches of snow which was actually pretty cool. Here I am apologizing at the north end (7+ miles) that I have never ever seen weeds in the spring time. Then he asks me if I'm superstitious... I said what is that suppose to mean? He replies, I brought bananas in my cooler. I pulled everything and headed back to the dock then told him to throw them out or put them in the truck. He came back and said you know I never caught a laker before. Took him out to 40fow and dropped 2 leadcore with sutton spoons and 10 minutes later we doubled up, took a picture and headed home. I made the call to head home because I think he knew, I had an attitude and who the hell brings 6 bananas fishing.

That's a great story!

I work with a guy who fished Lake O back a few years for spring browns. So their out fishing and his partner starts eating a banana. Captain says " get that off my boat ! " so the guy hurls it out into the lake. Troll for awhile with no action and decide to clear lines and lo an behold banana was caught on 1 of the lures. Ended day with 0 fish.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

17 hours ago, Silver Fox said:

That banana thing is the dumbest superstition ever.
"Look at me pound my chest and throw your nanner overboard!"
So freaking stupid.

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

Next thing you know, you're going to try to tell me that nobody's ever slipped on a banana peel :rofl: