bannanas

i always believed the superstition dated to when they transported bananas on ships. some of the crew members would become ill and even die this only happening on boats carrying bananas. then it was later discovered that the bananas they were hauling often times had tarantulas living in the crates with the bananas that would bite the crew members thus causing illness and death.  theres a lot of myths out there but you wont see any bananas on my boat regardless.

Banana's aren't just a boat thing. I'd never have bananas on my boat ever....and when I had a crew going out, I'd ask if they had any on them. If so, they had to stay onshore. BUT the Banana thing is simply bad for fishing. One time headed up to the Salmon river. I was going to be gone for several days on a combo Trout Salmon and Albie fishing trip to LI sound. We had two or three bananas laying around...figured they'd go to waste...I take them for a snack while fishing the river. Got there at 0-Dark-30. Rigged up and hit the water.. Left the bananas in the truck. For six solid hours I had Trout and Salmon all around me, and couldn't get a single fish to take.

I trudged back to the truck in the pouring rain beaten. Opened the door and saw the bananas. Could it be? I ate them all right there. Next morning before leaving for the Sound, I hit the Upper Fly area. Figured it would be crowded. It was Oct on the Salmon River  after all. NOT a soul there. Hmmm. Went up to a favorite swinging spot. Stepping down and casting, hooked a 10 pound brown trout. Next time through the run a 15 pound Steelhead dime bright that ran me down river for a 100 yards. Decided to try another spot and landed two more chrome fish. IT HAD TO BE THE BANANAS!!!!

I was with a guide friend on the Delaware, floating the main stem. All day long no shots at fish looking up. Couldn't believe it. We parked on an island and he offered me a banana...!!! HUH? We've had this evil fruit onboard all day???? I tossed it in the weeds and crushed it. Next run, Fish raising everywhere....20 + inch Wild Browns and rainbows.....NUFF SAID

The story I heard was natives from one island would boat over to another island for bananas. On the way over they'd almost fill the boat with fish. Once they got their bananas they'd start their way home & fish the same area without a nibble. One day I saw the boy who's charter was docked next to mine jump off his boat as his customers approached, grab a bag of bananas off one of them & threatened to throw them in the river unless he put them back in his car. I wouldn't let anyone put bananas on my boat!