Lake George equipment

8 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

What will you do for rod holders?

I googled a picture of the marina across the lake from us.  The picture shows the rental boats and there appears to be rail on around the front that I can put two clamp-on Tite-lock holders on.  Then there is always duct tape as plan B.

Like Gill-t this is the first year since the late 90's i am fishing Lake George.  I fished primarily out of Hague and mostly for Lake Trout.I am now fishing out of Bolton Landing and am having limited success.  I have been fishing for Lake Trout mostly and using the lures i used years ago.  I have been using flatfish, Rainbow,Brown, and silver and blue jointed Rebels.  I also used some mooselooks and sutton spoons.  Any help with lures and location would be greatly appreciated as i am having a tough time figuring it out.

Thanks

Dave

I live a few minutes from the lake and started open water fishing it last year. Ive done well with salmon. I've had limited Laker success spoons so far. One on a gambler rig with spin and glow. Only tried that once so far. Any one have luck using wire divers? I was thinking about trying mag lip on diver with gamblers on riggers.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I live a few minutes from the lake and started open water fishing it last year. Ive done well with salmon. I've had limited Laker success spoons so far. One on a gambler rig with spin and glow. Only tried that once so far. Any one have luck using wire divers? I was thinking about trying mag lip on diver with gamblers on riggers.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I run wire divers every time I fish the lake after the water warms up.

For what ever reason on lake George copper out fishes everything else on the boat day in and day out. I fish the lake 2 or 3 times a week and have only had 2 or 3 days when dipseys and riggers combined caught more fish than coppers. The problem is fighting a 5lb laker on a 3 or 400 copper sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run wire divers every time I fish the lake after the water warms up.

For what ever reason on lake George copper out fishes everything else on the boat day in and day out. I fish the lake 2 or 3 times a week and have only had 2 or 3 days when dipseys and riggers combined caught more fish than coppers. The problem is fighting a 5lb laker on a 3 or 400 copper sucks.

I have a 300 and 400 I just put together. I was concerned running them not knowing a small laker was on a board or same with a diver having more drag than the laker. I've only been trolling for two years but I'm trying to hammer the learning curve. Catching fish new ways is half the fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have a 300 and 400 I just put together. I was concerned running them not knowing a small laker was on a board or same with a diver having more drag than the laker. I've only been trolling for two years but I'm trying to hammer the learning curve. Catching fish new ways is half the fun.

It's tough to tell there is a dink on a copper but after you watch your boards for long enough you will learn what to check for. Just bring a buddy to have reel them in when you check them often.

Lake trout have been absent so far.  Been running a bottom thumper and have had one hit on that rig.  Now the eight color is on fire.  One short Atlantic and Smallmouth galore.  After snorkeling the rock structure around the north part of the lake, it became apparent there were no smallmouth where they "should be".  The food web appears to be Mayfly hatches as when it is calm on the lake, fish are up and feeding on the surface.  I am catching smallmouth in the middle of the lake on leadcore with a small Northern king aluminum blank in blue/chartreuse with some doctored orange tape on the other side........wtf.

Lake trout have been absent so far.  Been running a bottom thumper and have had one hit on that rig.  Now the eight color is on fire.  One short Atlantic and Smallmouth galore.  After snorkeling the rock structure around the north part of the lake, it became apparent there were no smallmouth where they "should be".  The food web appears to be Mayfly hatches as when it is calm on the lake, fish are up and feeding on the surface.  I am catching smallmouth in the middle of the lake on leadcore with a small Northern king aluminum blank in blue/chartreuse with some doctored orange tape on the other side........wtf.

Wait until you catch a smallie on that thumper rig in 100fow. Lake George is an interesting beast for sure. I fish it a ton and I haven't cracked the Nutt yet. Just when I think I have I get a big slice of humble pie! I think the smelt rule the lake and all the predator fish are on them.

Looks like i will be trying running copper.  That is something i didn't think i wanted to get into but from the reports on this post it looks like it works the best.  The other day i ran lead core, dipsy diver, thumper rod, and downriggers and caught no salmon.  I switched over for lakers and caught 2.  

Thanks

Dave

2 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Wait until you catch a smallie on that thumper rig in 100fow. Lake George is an interesting beast for sure. I fish it a ton and I haven't cracked the Nutt yet. Just when I think I have I get a big slice of humble pie! I think the smelt rule the lake and all the predator fish are on them.

Yes, I caught a largemouth jigging the bottom in 50'.  BTW the boat we rented has no fish finder lol.  

I did with a buddy, they love to follow and follow, sometimes for five or more minutes. That why you often get strikes when releasing the line from the rigger, reaction strikes. Try raising and lowering the rigger 5 ft or so every now n then.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You would be amazed how many bites I get by hitting max throttle on my troll master every 2 or 3 minutes.

If I mark a fish that doesn't hit I'll bump the botton a couple times and probably 1/3 of the time the fish will hit.

Another limit of bass fishing for trout. Eight color with Northport Nailer wild thing spoon today.   Lake Trout remain elusive without a fishfinder. 

Gill - If you are getting the bass you need to be DOWN....I'd try some weight added? Also if there are any stores around there that carry Lake Clear Wobblers (attractor) the large copper/silver one is worth a shot with a small to medium spoon behind it (about the size of a Sutton 44)

Edited by Sk8man

Small light weight spoons for the Atlantics (e.g. small Honeybees, #8 Sutton, small orange or lime green Acme Looter if you have one). The Atlantics will probably want the presentation much faster than the lakers too. Lakers should be in the 90 -100 ft range I would suspect and without the depth finder I would be starting on a diagonal from shore and trying to reach bottom with some weight as I go along until you can't reach bottom or you connect. They are going to be bottom oriented  at this point in the season in the colder water. Run a very short leader off the thumper with a heavier spoon on it

Going to try to jig them tomorrow. The deepest hole in the lake is right off the point from where I am staying. The tiny spot to the south that the locals are working is the size of a postage stamp. With charters in there I have stayed away. 

Going to try to jig them tomorrow. The deepest hole in the lake is right off the point from where I am staying. The tiny spot to the south that the locals are working is the size of a postage stamp. With charters in there I have stayed away. 

Anthony's nose and Rogers rock. Org drop into 100 + fow what you see out of water continues down across lake from you is Rogers rock state park just south of slide sw off the beach is a big mud bowl 60 dropping to 100+ If you can find it it would be starting point with a white tube jig if you can tip it with a piece of perch from a fish l perch or to along the shoreline all the much better you have a light wind out of west tomorrow 2-3 knots should give you a good drift from 60 foe out to deeper water to bounce/lift jog and pickup a laker or two

No Lakers today. Spent 1.5 hrs jigging Tony's nose. Even ran a three way with jig on bottom and spoon trailing. Put out the eight color and caught another short Atlantic. I have about 12 hours in this week chasing Lakers with a big old goose egg. Tried gang trolls, dodger/fly, dodger/ spin and glow, and jigging. I have yet to see a net come out for anyone else either. Despite the lack of laker success, I have had a great time. Tubing, water skiing, cliff jumping, snorkeling. My daughters were able to get up on water skis and learn how to drive a boat. Great weather with water temps perfect. I have learned a few things.....summer suspended smallmouth, 

Northport Nailer wild-thing spoons need more play time on Lake Ontario browns.  Wnen trolling slow.... you can dump an eight color on deployment into a thumper rig 100' down if you let the leadcore out too fast......what a mess!.....line spun onto itself so tight my A-Tom-Mik stud fly became a pud fly. I learned that without a fishfinder you can come upon an underwater island that goes from 100' to 20' in the middle of the lake......I want my spoon back!  I have learned that Lake George smallmouth are delicious dipped in egg whites and rolled in corn meal.