Is it possible?

I do a lot of trolling for walleyes on Oneida Lake, but would like to try Lake Ontario. Is it possible to go out on a calm morning with a deep v 17 ft. walleye rig and catch lakers or browns. Any advise would be greatly appreciated...the boat has down riggers and I have dipsy's , jet divers , snap weights, lead core and what I don't have I'll get. I just don't know if I would be wasting my time or if it's safe.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sure is you'll be fine. I had a 16 ft tiller at one time and would always go out on Erie which can be a little worse than Ontario as far as snottyness of rough water, choppier vs wider wave span. Just watch the weather and go out on a 2ft or less day and you'll be just fine, make sure you have all saftey gear and having a VHF marine band radio...just in case and don't go alone.

Consider Mexico Bay. The salmon will be stacking in shallower water soon. In front of Catfish Creek puts you on salmon while staying inside Paradise Bay which is sheltered from the west winds. Usually has much smaller seas.

I fished for a number of years in a 16' boat from the Oak to Sodus... You just need to be careful and when in doubt get off the water... make sure you have a good radio as well!

Put a lot of fish in the boat... I always figured as long as you have the right gear and you presnet a good program, the fish don't know what kind of boat you are in...

Also with a set of planner boards, some lead core, copper and wire, you can cover a lot of water...

Good Luck

i've come off the water around 930 a couple different times and was never locked in. although i've heard they close the gates at 9 or 10 in the fall. this was years ago however before we started fishing oswego so i'm not sure what they do now

Thanks to everyone for all the advice. This is a great site. The wind died enough on Friday night just before dark for a 16 ft. boat so I ran out of Oswego. Trolled from 50 ft. and worked out. When I got to 110 I started marking fish 70 down. Set the riggers there and within 15 minutes hooked up on a chrome and green NK. Too much fun to be legal.

gx2Fm1ui.jpg