Barney Baldwin memorial fishing derby on Cayuga Lake

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry everyone, forgot to take a picture of the board before I left today. Unlike the last tournament the weights were down. Everyone caught a lot of fish but most of the fish were in the 6 to 8 pound range. Attached is the photo of the board.IMG_2068.JPG

Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thank you to all those that entered the Barney Memorial Fishing Derby. The derby raised $300 for hospice care in Barney's name. In talking with "Bear" we had 44 people enter the tournament. We were wondering what it would take to make this a bigger turnout as Barney and Steve have done a lot for the fishing community and it is for a good cause. So what would it take? Just looking for opinions. Was it a bad weekend or was it because it was only a one day tournament??

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

this is my first year fishing the derbies on Cayuga . i fished two so far and had a blast both times and looking forward to the fall derby in September . i pass on this derby (8/12) to fish for kings on the big lake . maybe that is a reason it was slower than the others derbies .if there was one thing that would make a big difference i think it would be a weight in at the north end like long point . 

I haven't fished any derbys yet hope to get in on the next one. One of my worries with the tourneys is the launches and weigh ins seems like they are all real early in day and seems like unless you launch at the hosting launch you will have to be off water drastically sooner? Anyone have any input on That? I'd love to fish these and actually planned on fishing this one but work got in way.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

We fished hard for this derby . Fished different area of the lake than we usually fish .Caught a lot of fish but biggest was 9lb.Last weekend we caught a 12 out of that area. The fishstix winning seems to be on hold.

Did not fish the derby last weekend out of Ovid on Cayuga  .By the time you picked up and drove around the lake it would probably take 1.5 hrs. off the fishing time.A 2nd weigh station at Deans for the Barney derby would be great to get more entrants.

I personally like a one day derby, my fishing partner is getting up in years and a couple long days on the water whip him. It does me to.

Who remembers the old wildman derbys ending with a pig roast at O maleys?

Great times.

We just had a one day Derby and had 85 people don't think that's the problem. The one thing I think would help would be to add a weigh in at long point Dean's cove is to small. I would definitely fish all his Derbys if we didn't have to go all the to the south end. Looking forward to the fall derb

4 hours ago, Fishstix said:

We fished hard for this derby . Fished different area of the lake than we usually fish .Caught a lot of fish but biggest was 9lb.Last weekend we caught a 12 out of that area. The fishstix winning seems to be on hold.

Did not fish the derby last weekend out of Ovid on Cayuga  .By the time you picked up and drove around the lake it would probably take 1.5 hrs. off the fishing time.A 2nd weigh station at Deans for the Barney derby would be great to get more entrants.

I personally like a one day derby, my fishing partner is getting up in years and a couple long days on the water whip him. It does me to.

Who remembers the old wildman derbys ending with a pig roast at O maleys?

Great times.

I remember but was only little kid.

The one day Derbys are a lot of fun it's nice not to be out there all weekend

2 hours ago, darkwater1 said:

We just had a one day Derby and had 85 people don't think that's the problem. The one thing I think would help would be to add a weigh in at long point Dean's cove is to small. I would definitely fish all his Derbys if we didn't have to go all the to the south end. Looking forward to the fall derb

x2 on deans no where to tie up to weigh fish , long pt would be better . 

I know most guys like to fish up north, but for me I love the myers location weigh in, easy access from T-Falls, and I've had a lot of solid fishing in the area and just north of there, mostly on the west side, between T-Falls and Sheldrake.  I don't feel the need to go further north for the most part, except for just general curiosity and expanding here and there, or for another derby that's up there.  Landed 13 fish during this derby, all lakers and LL.  Biggest were an 8 lb 2 oz laker in the morning, and a 9 lb 9 oz laker in the afternoon, ended up with 3rd place (first time I've placed in any derby and I know weights were fairly low, was thankful and had a lot of fun).  I saw some beautiful big salmon (one just over 9 lbs) and beautiful browns weighed in too.  Congrats to Tom and Mike.  Looking fwd to the fall derby!

Edited by cinnamon fish

Congrats also Mike & Tom, any size they're all beauties.  Cayuga's a real treasure - we've been jigging up some nice fish lately, two of my kids each caught some that would have easily knocked me off the board, except they reeled them up Friday and Sunday!

Jig bite bordered steady to nuts all a.m., mostly 4 - 6lb fish on avg.  A couple of my (jigging) neighbors reported the same.  Really enjoyed the fact that it was a one-day event.   Many thanks to Bear once again and all involved for their time and effort. 

Barney was a good friend and unique character as most of us know - I'm sure he was smiling down on all with that perpetual grin!  

Edited by Copperliner

Would have been a fun derby but with not having the camper up there anymore and not getting up as much I didn't know about it until i pulled into the ramp at 10 o clock then figured it was to late to sign up, ended up with a nice 31'' laker that might have placed . Maybe a little more heads up on the date would be helpful , I think copperliner needs a litte more competition !!!!