Pike in thousand islands near wellsley, murry, eel bay etc.

I am headed up to the Wellsley Is, Murry Is area this weekend and would like to do some pike fishing. When I am up there I usually fish top water for bass, but I would like to try something different.

I really have never trolled before and am a little hesitant to try it. I will probably be in the boat alone, so I am not sure what is the best approach.

Anyone have any hints, tips or locations for mid-august pike?

Thanks!

Dave

I caught a 38" monster at the opening of the rift where it just starts to get narrow. I've heard of people (Look up Gene's post about the islands) trolling for them in the Swiftwater channel around Picton island at Eel Bay and along the shoal near Grindstone. I've hooked them in the Narrows too, at the north end of Murray right where it enters Eel Bay. one other spot is between the Gull islands in the middle of the bay too. Look for shallow weedlines that drop off, and run deep divers along there and thru the open pools between the tall grass. Steel leaders are key I've found. I prefer the 3" black ones with a barrell swivel.

Give a good report! I was there in July and it rained 8 out of 10 days... saw nothing with teeth :x

Was up to Wellsley in late July, and headed up again this weekend. We caught pike on the weed flats near deeper water - best time is dawn and dusk. Suspending rogues, stickbaits was what we used, and perch colors and firetiger were always best. Drift and cast, and expect a lot of weeds on the retrieve. Flashy spinners and daredevils will work too.

Have never trolled for pike up there, but have been drifting/casting for 30+ years and have caught some decent fish. A lot of hammer handles, but they'll give a good tussle too when they get down in the weeds.

Have fun - looks to be a bit drier this weekend than late July

waterdog

Thanks for the tips! I will try between picton and grindstone.

SinDale - which shoals near grindstone are you speaking of? Near canoe point? (That island is HUGE.) To be honest the rift makes me nervous in a boat, it would be a lousy place for engine trouble.

What do you guys think about live bait vs. spoons and stickbaits?

Thanks for the help guys!

Dave

in Eel Bay, along grindstone there is a ridge that I've seen and heard of people trolling. A month ago, that marker near canoe point was HOT!!! for perch. Find 20ft of water on the SW of the marker, and use minnows on the bottom. I'm only up there for a week out of the year, and usually pressured to do other things that waste valuable fishing time :devil: so I usually have a minnow down, and cast larger stickbaits.

Thanks for the reports. Heading up next weekend closer to A-Bay. 1st time taking my boat (always fished in someone else's) so I've been trying to study my map/charts. These starting points will help. thanks guys!

I'll check back for report from Cabby - hope its all good! :)