Grand Slam on Cayuga today

Grand Slam on Cayuga today

My son Mark and I decided to fish Cayuga today despite not entering the derby. We arrived at Dean's Cove abut 6:15 Am  and were marking bait and fish right out front of the launch so we fished it and also went north for a bit.  We stayed on the west side the entire day because of the wind and went as far south as Sheldrake and then turned back around north again. Most of the time we fished 45 to 75 ft of water with 2 downriggers with sliders and two inline boards and a 300 copper down the chute. We ended the day with 4 lakers, 3 rainbows 1 brown and 1 Landlock all caught between 35 to 50 ft down over 45 to 8o ft of water. Bait all over the place suspended mostly from 30 -50 ft but some on bottom as well.  Fish usually around the bait either above or below it.  Interestingly, we came up unexpectedly with the downriggers in 46 ft of water with the deepest one set at 45 ft and noticed at the same time a lot of bait with fish underneath and thinking they were lakers because they appeared right on bottom I then saw a fish go after the 45 ft downrigger and whamo he  hit it and I was still thinking laker when my son grabbed the rod and the fish went for the bottom. It fought real good and once we got a look discovered it was a brown instead. So much for assumptions about fish marks and their positioning:lol:. All fish were caught in the morning nothing in the afternoon until we pulled the final downrigger line to discover a 14 or 15 inch landlock on it to complete the Grand Slam.:)l. Only took a couple pics one of the brown and one of one of the first rainbows. All in all a fun day despite the moderate level of fleas on the lines (other than on the copper) and the variable wind affecting our trolling speed.

DSC00175x.JPG

DSC00178x.JPG

DSC00180x.JPG

Edited by Sk8man

Nice work Mark & Les, they didn't come easy today. Liney and I where hoping to make it a mini derby with the 2 Bob's against the 2 Breuer's but we couldn't seem to get many of those shallow fish to cooperate or fish at any depth for that matter, wonder if the full moon / clear night sky had an influence on the bite today? We started similar to you and had a little bow in a few minutes but it didn't trip the black release - happened to see the rods rise a little on that rigger - that was the norm for the day - we had to keep checking the rig rods for fish. It worked out because the fleas where out in force and the rods needed cleaning often. About 9AM we went east picking up a couple fish on the way across finding several boats working 150' range and we began marking lots of fish with less bait than west side but couldn't find anything they wanted to hit on, eventually returning to Deans which was jammed up when we wanted to leave - note to self don't quit at 1PM on a nice summer Sunday. On our way across we had a hit and when we started clearing rods the cross wind had gotten all the riggers & cheaters tangled so we knew it was time to quit. We ran leadcores at varying depths and baits without a touch, then switched over to wire & dipsys and still no hits but the wire sure did hold a ton of fleas.

That brown you got Mark was a beauty.

Can't wait till next weekend.

Dropped a nice Brown infront of Dean's. Only could get them to fire in the first 25' over 80. Even out deep over 140 25' down I picked up a nice bow. Fleas got bad around 10 and called it a day. Spent the rest of the day swimming.

They should make one lane for launching and one lane for pulling your rig out... Chaos down there today. Free for all.

Sent from my VS425PP using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks Brad... will do... please give my best regards to your folks too. Bob it sure wasn't the easiest day out there bud fighting that wind and fleas but at least there was action to be had (unlike some other spots we like to fish:lol:) Good that you got Liney out there today. Billy I saw your name up on the derby board yesterday in a couple places....at least you had some excitement. Cinnamon fish you had some really nice fish during that derby and the fact that you were able to connect with all those species (nearly twice) is a testament to your fishing skills:yes:. Ed as usual you summed it up perfectly bud.

Good chatting with you this morning Mike. Yeah that launch today was the busiest I've seen it. We also saw some nice smallies trying hard to recover from the tournament when we quit today.

Thanks for the kind words, Sk8man.  Great folks/community on this forum, and I've learned a lot on here.  Giving thanks for that!  Hope to meet some of you guys around one of the derbies or out on one of the lakes sometime.  I'm considering joining the FLTA maybe next year, if it looks like my schedule will allow me to fish enough tournaments.  After two full days on the lake, the brain is already thinking about the next run and ready to freshen up the tackle.

Mike / cinnamon fish

nice bow and brown Les and Mark, glad you guys got out for some quality time . we stayed mostly on the east side to the middle of the lake where we did so well for the past few weeks . it was a job with the wind, water currents and fleas . Deans Cove is pain for sure . we spent two days out of Long Point the state did a good job with this launch with as busy as it was easy in and out there .

Well done gentlemen! I Was the rookie rod guy for Bellis n Burt, reeling in a pile of fish, one fish on the seven color I said it's a brown for sure, they all laughed at me. Said no way... Sure enough it was and the rookie old guy gets to teach em how to tell a brown from a salmon. Lol!! Great fishing with y'all!

Les, nice to fish a lake that produces like that! No?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Well done gentlemen! I Was the rookie rod guy for Bellis n Burt, reeling in a pile of fish, one fish on the seven color I said it's a brown for sure, they all laughed at me. Said no way... Sure enough it was and the rookie old guy gets to teach em how to tell a brown from a salmon. Lol!! Great fishing with y'all!
Les, nice to fish a lake that produces like that! No?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Lol True story.. You should probably go buy a lottery ticket too

Mike

Sent from my SM-N910V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks Brian.  The current (and cross currents) was wicked and I think accounted for a bunch of folks having tangles yesterday. Mike - I saw where you folks grand slammed as well congrats!:)  Congrats as well to John for his "ultimate" fish identification :lol:

Nice job Les and Mark.  I was going to hit that lake soon but my boat would haver had a tough time of it.  I even got up early today and checked the wind. Went to Honeoye instead.  Looks like a beautiful day coming up for Wednesday. I bet Deans cove will be busy.  

Thanks Jim. Dean's shouldn't be too bad in the middle of the week ...weekends it may be another story.:) I think signalman and I may headed for Lake O on wednesday to chase down some kings and steelies. Jim the nice thiing about Dean's is the proximity to deep water so if the weather blows up and you're in a smaller boat you can readily get back in quickly. We marked a bunch of fish and  right out in front of there in 60 ft of water so you may not even have to go far...

I fished there last year for the first time.  Our first two trips we did the exact same program as you, south too Sheldrake and back.  After that, we fished the east side around the college area and did fairly well.  

Chasing walleyes in Erie this time of year is the name of the game for us. Long ride but well worth it.