Fish in Lake Riley?

I know it's pathetic, but until my car arrives, it is the only place I can get to with my bike. Its been weeks since I wet a line and I'm going to go nuts!

Are there any bass, pickeral, or pike in Lake Riley? I walked around it and saw hundreds of small sunfish and a big ass carp.

I'm thinkin past the weeds might be some decent fishing.

Would I be wasting my time?

Phil

I have never fished it but both largemouth and smallmouth are listed as being present in the Sander's guide. If you are new to the area this book is a worthwhile investment. Lists all fishable waters of Western NY along with techniques and tips. I have his Western NY edition. He is currently editing and updating the finger Lakes edition. Also check out the Sander's forum and website :

http://sandersfishingguides.com

I fished it once or twice as a kid. I recall one time picking up 5 pike in a 1/2 hour there, as it started drizzling rain. sort of like shooting fish in a barrel in that 'lake' though :lol: . the pike were smallish (all the same size- maybe 1-2 ft)so I suspect they were stocked and that was 20ish year ago, so who knows whether they're big ones in there now, or they're all fished out. It once was, so if ya got no other options ya might as well try, right?

yes thats the only fishable water there.

Well I gave it a go this mornin.

The pond is extremely shallow. The first 10-30 yards from the shore are choked with weeds.

I hit it with floating frogs, senkos, spinnerbait, topwater, and crappie jigs with no luck. I'm guessing the fish in there are in the center by the fountains where I assume it's deeper. I did not see any boils or anything.

If you like carp fishing, the lake is full of them.

It felt great to be casting a line out finally. Beautiful morning, just no fish.

til next time,

Phil