OLCOTT JULY 10

Began solo run setting up in front of port at 6:30 am in 120 fow on a north troll.  Forecast was pretty accurate.  Winds out of the SSW  about 5-10.  Waves about 1'.  I started early to get some fishing in before the waves reached 2'.  I have a 16' Tracker, so 2' is my limit.  Generally speaking.  Temp was 47 degrees 70' down.

When I hit 190 fow I headed due west into the waves and wind.  As I approached the Big Red Barn....BAM!!!!  Line starts thumping and ripping a little line off the rigger.  10 minutes later I released a 20#(ish) King for another to catch.  I reset my rigger and before I could sit down....BAM!!!!  Rigger released and line was thumping again.  This time the 25#(ish) King was a little harder to net.  Took me 3 tries.  I think I need a bigger net.

I turned and headed east to ride the waves and make my return to port a little easier.  Waves and wind had picked up as forecasted.  No hit until I approached Olcott.  Released a skippy.  At 8:30 it was time to head in.

So ended up 3/3 with a couple knock-offs.  All Spin Dr/FF hits.  All rigger bites.  No spoon bites.  No diver bites.  Green is my productive color.

Nice report, and nice fish.Fishing solo is a bit difficult when it comes time to net a big king Been there done that.Three trys is pretty good. Heck, we've had days when it took three tries even with a few guys on board 

Netting is tough, but getting the fish back in the water quickly is usually the toughest aspect.  I don't plan to keep any fish, so I REALLY try to release the fish as quickly as possible.  I hate it when the hook(s) get buried in there.  Decreases the chance of survival.

The "Big Red Barn" is about 3 miles west of Olcott.  That is just a guess.  It is a landmark that can be seen from the water.  If you are out in a boat, from east to west, you will see the Somerset smoke stack, the microwave tower, Olcott water tower, then the big red barn.

On 10/07/2017 at 10:11 PM, jpiatkowski said:

The "Big Red Barn" is about 3 miles west of Olcott.  That is just a guess.  It is a landmark that can be seen from the water.  If you are out in a boat, from east to west, you will see the Somerset smoke stack, the microwave tower, Olcott water tower, then the big red barn.

:yes: