New Fishfinder Advice

Pa223

New Fishfinder Advice

I realize that this topic is one that gets repeated often, but with everything getting outdated I thought I would try again.  I am in the market for new fishfinder.  I am a rookie when it comes to electronics.  I don't know much but I know that my current one is from 1992.   I would like GPS and great fish finding abilities.   Finding bait would be huge as my current one does not. 

Next year I am getting a new autopilot but not sure if that even matters to this conversation.

Would like to stay under $1000

Thanks for all of your help in advance

3 hours ago, stoneam2006 said:

I just bought helix 7 with gps and down imaging like it a lot works great ran about 500

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Hows the learning curve on the Helix 7 what does the 7 mean the size screen kinda like the Elite 7??

Hows the learning curve on the Helix 7 what does the 7 mean the size screen kinda like the Elite 7??

Yea 7 is screen and learning wasn't to bad. Runs like my 597 did and bandrus helped me get it dialed in so that helped alot.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I have a lowarance elite 4 chirp. Now they are called hook 4. Although I think it works fine, I see lots of bait and hooks, I think I would go with something else. They are now pretty cheap, however so for the money I think it is well worth it.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Very unhappy with my Raymarine Dragonfly 7, my old Lowrance Elite 4s were much better. It doesn't even have NEMA or SeaTalk out, so no way to connect it to autopilot or radar. With the Navionics plus map chip, maps are still very basic compared to the similarly priced chip I had in the Elite. It does OK marking fish and bait, but the interface is clunky and I can't do what I need easily - like quickly setting the cursor on a fish to see the exact depth. In my opinion, cross the Raymarine off your list. Hope this helps.