Need Ideas For Mounting a 6 Gallon Gas Tank

Todd in NY

Thanks for the replies everyone. I went out this afternoon with my 3 gallon tank and I used a ratchet strap with a 1/4" thick piece of rubber stall mat between the tank and the ratchet mechanism. It worked better than I thought it would.

I considered a wooden 2x4 frame to help keep the tank more secure, kind of similar to angle or an L bracket.

I only use this boat for trolling about once a month, which is why I'm using my old 1980 Evinrude 7.5.

I like the idea of an internal tank but I don't know where I would put it. It's a 2 stroke motor, too.

Bungee cords would stretch and "give" too much, based on the fact that even a ratchet strap allows some tiny bit of movement unless I crank it down tight enough to damage the tank.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Yea Todd that's exactly what I did the I zip tied the hose long the back so they wouldn't be able to swim around!! :lol: I can troll a whole day with my 15hp 2 stroker then I just mix fuel in a 5 gallon jug to refill when needed. Works for me.

Pap, I ordered a new fuel line kit that has some sort of pressure regulator on it to keep the tank from sending too much fuel to the motor and flooding the motor out. I didn't even know that could happen. I know these external fuel tanks can really swell up with pressure in the heat. They do it sitting in my garage, without being in the sun. It's tempting to build a wooden cover, paint it white, to put over the tank. If I used the boat more often I might try to do something more permanent with the tank.

I've never heard of that?? I've ran mine for years with just the regular hose and primer bulb, you have an Evenrude and so do I don't you have to crack the breather valve on your tank. I do so it doesn't suck the tank together. I don't understand the function of this new line??

The older black rubber  straps with steel hooks are stronger than the bungi's I have used them for years on my 3 gal. tank. Good idea to always check to see that you have them connected up though:lol:  Dragged a tank earlier this season because I was half asleep when I left in the AM and didn't hitch up the strap...one of those hundred buck lessons:) Always make sure to leave enough room when you fill the tank (not past the max level) so the gas has room to expand.

Edited by Sk8man

Perhaps a cheap plastic cooler just big enough for the tank, bolted to the swim platform from the bottom with stove bolts and wing nuts, easily removable.  cut a slot in the side of the cooler for the fuel hose, drill a few holes in the bottom to drain any rain or spray water.

Or 2 heavy duty screw eyelets (Tractor Supply or Runnings etc.)screwed into  the swim platform and use the heavy duty rubber bungi snugly on it (front to back) on the plattform and side to side if needed

Edited by Sk8man