Seneca Whats for lunch ? Add you own way to cook the fish !

Whats for lunch ?

What's for lunch ? Fresh laketrout put in milk and paprika over night , trim up with small Y-bone removed. Then light batter and on the stove.....100_0748.thumb.JPG.35e2acd90050c6d152ef5e0b6a97b3bd.JPG100_0749.thumb.JPG.ea19319cd561a68ca16f084f01717084.JPG100_0750.thumb.JPG.e0dd1afec9eef9a74ae038b2cc504738.JPG

Edited by ERABBIT

22 minutes ago, darkwater1 said:

Butter milk pancake mix? How did you do that? Sounds good.

Do as above , then drain them , pad dry , mix a egg and some milk or water , dip dry fish into mix , then into pancake dry batter , if you like a THICK breading re-peat last two steps....

Back in the day there was a Italian gentleman in our fishing club that use to make Lake Trout lasagna I know it doesn't sound great but don't knock it til you try it.. He would use a traditional recipe but instead of noodles he put layers of lake trout filets down instead.. I know he soaked the filets in milk overnight first.. It took me a few times he made it to try it but I have to say it was definitely delicious and was thinking about try to make it the other day... Sorry for stealing your thread but would be a good one to try...

Mike

Sent from my SM-N910V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I dunno.. looks  really good, but  usually not that big a fan of fried lake trout.. They are a bit soft and gamey for my taste when using a breading.. The milk and paprika would probably purge some of the laker skunkiness, so thats    a nice idea  I might give a go.. Tried milk alone in the past and wasn't that inpressed, but it did help some..
 Looks like the 'red stuff" might be ketchup, but I would bet its cocktail sauce, which is another really good idea. I have used it in the past on fried breaded fish and it works great... Might try again soaking the fillets in milk and see what happens.. your plate of fried lakers DOES look good !

Good enough to make me want to try again with frying them  golden brown again instead of baking/broiling/grilling etc... bob

1 hour ago, bulletbob said:

I dunno.. looks  really good, but  usually not that big a fan of fried lake trout.. They are a bit soft and gamey for my taste when using a breading.. The milk and paprika would probably purge some of the laker skunkiness, so thats    a nice idea  I might give a go.. Tried milk alone in the past and wasn't that inpressed, but it did help some..
 Looks like the 'red stuff" might be ketchup, but I would bet its cocktail sauce, which is another really good idea. I have used it in the past on fried breaded fish and it works great... Might try again soaking the fillets in milk and see what happens.. your plate of fried lakers DOES look good !

Good enough to make me want to try again with frying them  golden brown again instead of baking/broiling/grilling etc... bob

Yep that's what the red stuff is , that's store bought stuff , most times I make my own, bulletbob one more thing to get the last of the of the bad taste out , pull apart the pieces with a fork this let's it out into the oil much better then!!!! 

4 hours ago, Iron Duke said:

Back in the day there was a Italian gentleman in our fishing club that use to make Lake Trout lasagna I know it doesn't sound great but don't knock it til you try it.. He would use a traditional recipe but instead of noodles he put layers of lake trout filets down instead.. I know he soaked the filets in milk overnight first.. It took me a few times he made it to try it but I have to say it was definitely delicious and was thinking about try to make it the other day... Sorry for stealing your thread but would be a good one to try...

Mike

Sent from my SM-N910V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Any time Mike , let me know how it comes out for you!!! Think I'll stay with the real deal..... Lol

I'm just saying for what's it's worth..

I know a lot of people don't like lakers even more so up north but those ones are dinosaur's. That being said colder the Laker the better not over 7# the better and remove the lateral vein.

#longlivethelaker. 

Your lunch looks amazing. I've never tried the milk prep before. Thanks for the tip. I like to use fresh squeezed lemons, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Italian dressing. It's takes most of the fishy flavor out. I'm eating cold water lakers out of Lake Huron, so perhaps they are good tasting any way you cook them. I caught some dark ones on Saturday. The bottom fish had a dark top and orange tipped fins, as you say. And it tasted great!!!! [emoji1303]IMG_4888.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Oh to catch some fresh fish for a decent meal.

Have the worst luck this year with most everything I have going on. Can't catch fish to save my life. Of course, first year owning a boat too and I picked the year with all the water issues around.

Boohoo... Whining over.

Great looking meal and hope everyone enjoys their stuff.

11 hours ago, LakerTaker said:

Your lunch looks amazing. I've never tried the milk prep before. Thanks for the tip. I like to use fresh squeezed lemons, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Italian dressing. It's takes most of the fishy flavor out. I'm eating cold water lakers out of Lake Huron, so perhaps they are good tasting any way you cook them. I caught some dark ones on Saturday. The bottom fish had a dark top and orange tipped fins, as you say. And it tasted great!!!! emoji1303.pngIMG_4888.JPG

Yep if I'm looking for one to eat ( and lucky enough to be choosy ) thats the color I would take no matter the size. Meat is a drak orange !!!  Thaks for sharing nice fish.......If I'm doing mine on the grill I like https://www.target.com/p/ken-s-steak-house-174-lite-sweet-vidalia-onion-salad-dressing-16-fl-oz/-/A-14775014?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Grocery+Essentials+Shopping&adgroup=SC_Grocery&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9005774&gclid=CjwKEAjwtJzLBRC7z43vr63nr3wSJABjJDgJI-ZW_pKO4EuA434JFe1OZKc1zaoOt40kfzRKSkdICRoCrw7w_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks, I will have to try that dressing. I will buy one today! Here is a pick of the orange fillets. Note, they are not fully trimmed - I went back and cleaned them up. [emoji3]. I broiled 2 fillets on a cookie sheet on high in the oven. Skin side up first, until the skin looks cooked and the sides are brown, then flipped them over and cooked the top. It's better to use a broiling pan, but I don't have one. IMG_4889.JPG

Soy sauce, Italian dressing of equal parts, add brown sugar while whisking, until a syrup substance is obtained. Marinate for a few minutes or over night. Thank me later.

Making your stories, Reel Stories, since 2011!!

I cool lakers for the sampson members often. Not one of then ever thought they would like it. Guess what, never a complaint. We even did marlin the other night. Lol

Making your stories, Reel Stories, since 2011!!

Very simple, very tasty and elegant recipe, that cuts the  skunk of Lakers, but is GREAT on anything  that swims..

Take a few tablespoons of CHUNKY salsa.. Mild or medium, not hot.. put in a small pot or skillet..
 Add a  tablespoon of capers, a few tablespoons of chopped black olives, kalamata work best,  a squeeze of FRESH lemon juice, a small splash of white wine, and a bit of olive oil or butter.. Heat for a few minutes to blend flavors.
  Cook your fish as you like, but I broil or saute them in a bit of butter and olive oil with this sauce.

I like to put the fish on a  bowl of  hot rice, and pour the sauce over all of it.. It is  absolutely great, works with any fish, and the olives, capers, and lemon  cut the gaminess of any strong fish.. Try this one you'll love it.. If you don't like olives, you can add a bit of chopped onion , some chopped mushrooms  a  bit of sauteed garlic or all of the above.. I would NOT add raw garlic to this, its too overpowering... bob

T

Edited by bulletbob