Seneca Whats for lunch ? Add you own way to cook the fish !

I marinate my lakers in Lemon Garlicious marinade (State Fair) I get at Tops and charcoal grill within 2-3 days after catching. Have had a lot of people say "Man, that is some good fish". Think it is key to put them on ice right after catching them. 

Like guff mentioned I have found lakers just dont hold up well in the freezer at all we eat them fresh and there great let them sit in the freezer for a month or two and you better hold on there going to be much  stronger  !!!!

Try to marinate them in a Louisiana style hot sauce over night. Touch of lemon within the hour before cooking. I usually use a egg and some heavy cream for a wet mixture and dredge them in cornmeal. Fry them in a cast iron. Serve with fresh lemon wedges. Pretty [emoji39]

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

The biggest thing with lakers is taking good care of the meat. If you have more ice in your beer cooler than on your fish you are doing it wrong. Keep them as cold as possible and eat them as soon as you can. I never freeze lakers. I tried to gut and gill a few trips ago but the fishing was so good with rods firing none stop I only did half the fish I kept. I try to only keep gill hooked fish so most of them bleed out anyhow.The meat did seem firmer and whiter. I kept a small pail inside my cooler to put the guts in. I like lemon garlic like mentioned cooked on grill with maple or apple wood for smoke. I use the side car of my smoker grill for most of the heat and smoke. Thanks Ed! I will give your method a try!  Wes 

I make fish tacos with them and have turned many people on to them who normally don't like fish. Like others have said, taking care of the fish from the net to the pan is the key to better quality. When I land a fish I cut through the tendon (holds lower jaw) between the gills and put them head down in a bucket of water to bleed out for about 5 minutes (get rod back down and stuff put away). Then put it on ice. Once filet cut into bite size chunks.
Use egg or beer (I normally have more beer then eggs on the boat lol) as a wash.
Coat in panko crumbs (season with whatever, such as garlic, old bay, slap your momma seasoning.
Fry to golden brown.
Take a soft taco shell, fish chunks, shredded cabbage (better crunch and won't get soggy), salsa, and tarter sauce.
Trust me you and your family will love it. In fact my 85yr old father who never try's anything different loves them.

No matter what recipe you decide to use or the specific fish used the initial care and preparation of the fish may be the most important factor. If you intend to eat it bleed the fish immediately after caught and put it right on ice in a plastic bag.  When you filllet it avoid the thick back area and the belly meat.. Cut out the dark lateral line material. Take the skin off the fish. Doing these things will minimize the strong fishy taste of the fish. For some of the strong tasting saltwater varieties the fillets can be soaked for a few hours in salt water with concentrated lemon juice added to it (e.g. for bluefish etc. It will suck the fat and oil right out of the fish.

Salmon, lakers, or rainbows cooked over the grill in an aluminum pan or foil in Wishbone Italian dressing and a little lemon juice and a little garlic powder, and Old Bay seasoning  can be great and very simple and quick to do.If the skin is left on the fillet cook it with the skin side down and it will pull off when removing the fillet. Carve out  any dark lateral line material before serving.

Edited by Sk8man

• 4 weeks later...

I tried two ways with a laker and brown last week

1. Prep as described above bled on catch immediately iced and kept cold trimmed out.

Method 1

Brown sugar, honey, kosher salt and garlic and olive oil whipped to a butter consistency coat and bake at 350 till it caramelizes dons over cook it, done with skin on bottom...

Second way

Marinade in butter lemon juice garlic powder Parmesan cheese and Italian spice like perfect pinch bake at 350 or grill

Most important don't over cook it flaky and moist consistency ...

Try soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic , and fresh shredded ginger marinate for a couple hours cook with leftover marinade or on the grill.

Lewis, which did turn people on that wouldn't eat a Laker & say yum before? I used to just soak em' in saltwater overnight & cook them with fresh herbs. Or kite the fish & smoke it for 4 to 6 hours & call it a Cayuga pizza. What is the winner? My girlfriend can take the smoked & turn it into a wicked dip for cornchips! That always disappears quickly.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I did my butter lemon Parmesan bake last night and it rocked on sundays catch... we cooked a Lake Ontario laker after freezing couple years ago and it sucked but we've downed several this week fresh ... there was no clear winner on my two preps ... need to try smoking it next