Hughes 7-12-17

Hughes 7-12-17

Signalman and my son whose birthday it was today and I launched out of Hughes at 6AM. Started fishing at about 140 ft and went NW. Fished from 6AM until 12 PM. Caught 2 steelies, a brown and a 5 lb king. Nothing touched the 300 copper  and only 1 hit on Spinney fly from downrigger (snap off), nothing on 2 wire Spinney fly setups or meat rig with sawbelly. Fish came 80-100 ft over 160 on riggers spoon bite various colors medium spoons trolled 2.5-2.7 GPS. Largest steelie came on slider black and silver Evil Eye. One steelie and king released unharmed. Larger steelie and brown didn't make it and were kept. Fleas were moderate andeasy to get off. Flies were biting when we quit. Fun day and a big thanks to Signalman for taking us out. Mark caught his brthday steelie about 9 lbs.while Mike scored the brown:) Beautiful morning

marksteelie.jpg

mikebrown.jpg

DSC00181x.JPG

Edited by Sk8man

nice morning to be out we finally got back on Lake O ourselves today.  fished out of bear creek from about 9 til 4 with a break in the middle to pick up a passenger at the dock.  We went three for 4 today with a decent steely and teens king.   Got my dad out for a trolling trip for the first time since he owned his boat in the mid ninetys.  He got the stealhead.  we marked fish from 120 to 180 with the best screens 140 and under all our fish came on spoons on the rigger 72 and 85 down.  the one miss was  a meat rig on the rigger 

man was it hazy and muggy out there I lost about 4 gallons of water in sweat.  

brother with the king5966a9c546a89_jeffking.thumb.jpg.c1bc998f6b89951937a978983eafc2a2.jpg

Nice going on the fish. I hear ya on the humidity and haze but at least the NE wind stayed down and the lake was real nice.

Wait a minute that is a brookie.  Don't tell me they are in Lake Ontario.  I just looked at the background.  I don't think there is much chance to jig in the big lake for those fish you all are holding.  They are pretty......jk

Sk8man I had a camper up at Hughes almost 20yrs.

Best thing when the bows are around is swing a rigger around into the propwash.Drop a spoon down 5 or 6 ft and 5 or 6 ft behind the ball. Where you can just see the spoon.Those bows hit and jump right behind the boat. My spoon choice was pirates but everone has their favorites.

Cool fish grizzlybarry:yes:  Fishstix....I hear ya on the prop wash for the steelies. I run an 8 ft slider off the downrigger in there often 2 of them and Pirates, Evil Eyes, or NK28's. That is how many of the steelies come....Mike- You've got to get loose from that job once in awhile somehow.. We retired guys are taking all your fish :lol:

Edited by Sk8man