Spoon hook replacement , what do you use ?

Spoon hook replacement , what do you use ?

I've been using vmc 7650ps #2 on 3" spoons and have two left in my box of 100. I got them from Stamia which seem to be gone. 

Anyway what are you guys using , 3" spoons , stinger size spoon , mag size spoons on the finger lakes  ?

Thanks

Edited by ERABBIT

Couldn't tell U the number, but I use Gamakatsu short shank round bend trebles. Size 2 or 4, your choice. Maybe 4s for
the Stingers & 2s for the NKs, Moonshines (heavier spoons). Small Suttons & Millers size 4 & larger (88s) maybe 2s. Gama's are really 'sticky' spoons. Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp
also work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

X2 on gamagatsu's (or whatever the correct spelling is) sharpest hooks I've found personally can't tell you a number either I always just compare them to spoons at the tackle shop til I find what looks like the best size fit. I use them for rigging flies as the treble aswell and use either a gamagatsu or an owner as the single

Edited by suttontroller94

45 minutes ago, FissionNut said:

Couldn't tell U the number, but I use Gamakatsu short shank round bend trebles. Size 2 or 4, your choice. Maybe 4s for
the Stingers & 2s for the NKs, Moonshines (heavier spoons). Small Suttons & Millers size 4 & larger (88s) maybe 2s. Gama's are really 'sticky' spoons. Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp
also work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks

16 minutes ago, suttontroller94 said:

X2 on gamagatsu's (or whatever the correct spelling is) sharpest hooks I've found personally can't tell you a number either I always just compare them to spoons at the tackle shop til I find what looks like the best size fit. I use them for rigging flies as the treble aswell and use either a gamagatsu or an owner as the single

Thanks

Fellow Pa ERabbit I can't seem to post photos here.  But when you take your hook off put on an extra split ring on the original one than add the new hook.  Now the hook will swing more freely and be a little futhur behind the original position.....jk

Ed I have used the the Mustad 3x SS Siwash Salmon hooks #9550?) formore than 30 years and I have them on well over 1000 or more spoons and have never had a failure with them. I seldom lose fish with them either and if so it has not been the hook at fault. The hook has a very sharp elongated point which penetrates deep even on light hookups. The only lures I haven't changed to them are sticks and Revolution spoons because of the balance factor. I use 2/0 for smaller spoons and 3/0 for medium/ large spoons.

Edited by Sk8man

Well now I am embarrassed.  My neighbor's son came in and read my post.  I now can easily post.  This is from 4 years ago, 12 pound brown jigging.   I had problems before and it didn't work then and I never tried again.  speaking of working, rocks don't move themselves.....jk

Buzzies Brown.JPG

I, like Sk8man, also use MUSTAD SALMON SIWASH HOOKS 9510XXXS-SS.  I use 2/0 for standard size spoons, 3/0 for magnum size spoons, and 1/0 for sutton and Michigan Stingers.

When I use trebles, I use Eagle Claw 2X size 1/0 for standard size spoons and 2/0 for magnums.

I like the Owner ST-41 Stinger 2X treble hooks, size 2, though I generally only replace the factory hooks if one get damaged, rusty, or broken. I've never tried the siwash hooks....I probably should!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Hillside is right about both the number of that hook and also the sizes....I do the same....so much for memory off the top of my head huh? :lol:

3 hours ago, Sk8man said:

Hillside is right about both the number of that hook and also the sizes....I do the same....so much for memory off the top of my head huh? :lol:

I learned the hook sizes and numbers from you Les!

I like mustad short or long shank single barb hook. I file off the barb for easy fish release.  I add hearing oil to the spoon for extra smell. Pro cure oils, hearing, rainbow trout or sawbelly flavor work for me. Small spoons 31 35 44 small shank, bigger spoons long shank. I like a peanut with a 24 inch leader tied off the hook to for more fish catching. The spoon does the attraction and the peanut catches the fish.

I have siwash on some spoons & trebles on others.  I honestly don't see much of a difference in hookup rates.  Maybe a slight edge to the siwash for very active fish.  They don't seem to be able to leverage the single hooks as well as they do the trebles.  The idea of putting an extra split ring on the spoon or better yet, a swivel would also make it difficult for the fish to leverage against the spoon.  Luhr Jensen actually used swivels on some of the hooks on their spoons a number of years back.  BTW  Unrelated - DEC was here the last few days setting gill nets to sample fish populations and test for health and toxicity etc..  Any how, 4 nets set for two days & a total of 64 fish. all different sizes.  They said that average is 3 - 6 fish per net so this take sounds pretty good.  For those who say there are no fish in Seneca - - there ya go! 

Tight lines!

9 minutes ago, FissionNut said:

I have siwash on some spoons & trebles on others.  I honestly don't see much of a difference in hookup rates.  Maybe a slight edge to the siwash for very active fish.  They don't seem to be able to leverage the single hooks as well as they do the trebles.  The idea of putting an extra split ring on the spoon or better yet, a swivel would also make it difficult for the fish to leverage against the spoon.  Luhr Jensen actually used swivels on some of the hooks on their spoons a number of years back.  BTW  Unrelated - DEC was here the last few days setting gill nets to sample fish populations and test for health and toxicity etc..  Any how, 4 nets set for two days & a total of 64 fish. all different sizes.  They said that average is 3 - 6 fish per net so this take sounds pretty good.  For those who say there are no fish in Seneca - - there ya go! 

Tight lines!

Pretty good argument that we are just struggling to fish against all the bait

All I know is the 18 lb king I got Sunday wrecked the treble hook that was on the spoon, Unbelievable. I just replaced it with what I had, but I need to pay attention because I never knew they could demolish your hooks like that.

Instead of taking off the solid ring from the Sutton cut the treble off and replace with an open eye Mustad Siwash SS salmon single hoos (1/0 size)