Can I paint my aluminum boat with Rustoleum?

King Fish

There is Rustoleum marine paint.  I used it several years ago on a rusty boat trailer and a 1956 Aluminum Crestliner.  It has held up well, especially on the boat trailer.  I would highly recommend the product.

3 minutes ago, MCF said:

There is Rustoleum marine paint.  I used it several years ago on a rusty boat trailer and a 1956 Aluminum Crestliner.  It has held up well, especially on the boat trailer.  I would highly recommend the product.

Thankypu for your reply. 

I did not know that rustoleum had a marine version. I just picked up thier oil based professional gloss enamel from Home Depot. Some say it will work well some say it won't. Do you have any Suggestions ?

4 hours ago, TileMan Dan said:

It will work. Just clean boat with simple green to clean and use a wire wheel in drill to scuff up lightly before paint. Did a boat 10 years ago and it is still holding.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Hi, so I am sanding with an orbital sander with 60 grit sandpaper. Do you think that is scuffing it up enough? 

Lastly what are you mr suggestions for clear coat. Rustoleum makes a clear but I wanted to know if anyone had tested it.

I used flat black basic rustoleum, no clear coat, clear coat would definitely be a good choice to put over it though... I put it in a spray gun, a lot cheaper then aerosol and looks a lot better, roughed up the whole boat before I sprayed the primer with a wire wheel....

Using a spray gun subjects you to a DEC violation unless you have an approved spray booth.
A roller or brush is safer.

Are you sure on this? I thought that only applies if you are a body shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I did my old sea nymph with the rust oleum professional from a gallon can.  Once applied it came out glossy and there is no need for a clear coat with this paint.  I scuffed the hull with scothbrite green pads and then wiped it down with acetone on rag.

My opinion is you'll be fine for doing the boat with a spray gun, title V permit and or booth requirements for NYS starts kicking in with facilities and or businesses that create levels of VOC's that can be summed up on the table listed within the reg. if your not doing other boats, such as a business, and only using a gal at the most I think you'll have no issues. And there are paints that are voc friendly as well. Good luck with the project.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

All of the responses have been awesome, keep them coming. [emoji12]
I started sanding yesterday and it's coming out pretty good. I completed the inside and I have about 1/2 of the outside done. I'm probably going to clean up the inside and prime it next so that I can go ahead and put the floor down. IMG_3258.JPG

Any suggestions on a good inexpensive roll on primer?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

As a body shop owner for the last 28 years I,ll give my 2 cents, just an opinion for what it,s worth. 1) painting your boat does not put you in violation of voc laws,but you have to dispose of leftovers properly.2) I think 60 grit on an orbital is a bit rough.primer and paint probably won't fill the hook marks left. I would run over it with 180 as a final sand.3) rolling on rustoleum should work and since it,s a slow drying enamel you could roll a section then tip it with a quality brush( go over it lightly to remove air bubbles and smooth the finish) the fine brush marks will flow out , a little thinner on the brush helps. If you need anything just pm me, always glad to help a fellow LOU member.

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 8:18 AM, jimski2 said:

Using a spray gun subjects you to a DEC violation unless you have an approved spray booth.

A roller or brush is safer.

Jimski - you have not replied. Could you please confirm if any use of a spray gun is a DEC violation, or only if you are a body shop? Certainly you must have facts to back up your original post