Bad year for weekend warriors.

I can only get out on Sundays and have only been out 3 times because of wind. Windfinder app is great and very accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

3 minutes ago, gleicha said:

I can only get out on Sundays and have only been out 3 times because of wind. Windfinder app is great and very accurate.

That's what I use or sailflow both accurate and both different.. Same with noaa.and acuwheather

I second or third the windfinder app. As someone that used to be in the business, it's the best that I have found. Make sure you choose a location where you plan to go out. Don't use your house location and locations can have varying wind too.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 19 footer, deep v. Has nice tall sides. I have thought if I had a bigger boat I would be able fish in rougher water. Then I realized a few things: It is difficult to tend lines when it is rough. I usually have poor luck when it is rough. I don't enjoy it as much when it is rough. So I realized, my boat takes some pretty rough water and any rougher would not be enjoyable. So I think I am ok with my current boat.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

4 hours ago, garrymny said:

I have a 19 footer, deep v. Has nice tall sides. I have thought if I had a bigger boat I would be able fish in rougher water. Then I realized a few things: It is difficult to tend lines when it is rough. I usually have poor luck when it is rough. I don't enjoy it as much when it is rough. So I realized, my boat takes some pretty rough water and any rougher would not be enjoyable. So I think I am ok with my current boat.

That's a good point, I've thought the same thing, I need a bigger boat! But do I really want to be out in 3 to 5 footers.....not really! The only advantage is more tackle storage and maybe a bathroom. I agree the weekends haven't been the best.

Ya true! I run a 21 ft ranger bass boat I'm good to 3 ft then I don't want to be out there. Thought the same, want and need are 2 different things. Yes I'm limited to when I can go. Weekends or vacation days. So when I can go I don't want to be sitting on the dock, that sucks!! If I had the bigger boat it would come down to don't care I'm going! Like the forecast for sat 15 North east I wouldn't be trying to figure out if I'm going or not.

1 hour ago, garrymny said:

Sunday the 30th says 1 foot or less. I guess that will be our day.

even if that sunday forcast is true we will still most likely be dealing with ice water assuming we get the heavy ne blows predicted for fri and sat.   

Edited by joe g

Here we go again!! Planning on coming again and here comes the wind. I can't win!!! Got to fish a hr and a half 2 weekends ago caught 2 lost 1 then got blown off. Time to invest in a 26 ftr

90% of the time if it's too rough for you, it's too rough for anyone. A bigger boat is just BIT more enjoyable when it's snotty.

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

3 hours ago, joe g said:

even if that sunday forcast is true we will still most likely be dealing with ice water assuming we get the heavy ne blows predicted for fri and sat.   

Ok, so what is the strategy? Fish in 350-450 FOW? HELP!!!

Jimski has the right idea- make the long run to stable water and fish steelies. Drop a rigger down deep in the ice cold for kings out there also with a slider on it for steelies. I have fished lake O for 20 years and this is the least amount of time I've spent weekend salmon fishing ever. ( weather and my father is recovering from a blood clot in his lung that by the grace of god he survived are both factors) Back in the day when I was a newbie I fished no matter what the conditions unless it was to rough. Not anymore - now I just go else where. The walleye are feeling my wrath this year which isn't a bad thing but my passion is Kings. Hopefully August weekends will cooperate. Also Jimski I think you meant the niagara river- Good fishing to all.

Jimski has the right idea- make the long run to stable water and fish steelies. Drop a rigger down deep in the ice cold for kings out there also with a slider on it for steelies. I have fished lake O for 20 years and this is the least amount of time I've spent weekend salmon fishing ever. ( weather and my father is recovering from a blood clot in his lung that by the grace of god he survived are both factors) Back in the day when I was a newbie I fished no matter what the conditions unless it was to rough. Not anymore - now I just go else where. The walleye are feeling my wrath this year which isn't a bad thing but my passion is Kings. Hopefully August weekends will cooperate. Also Jimski I think you meant the niagara river- Good fishing to all.

Thanks for the information guys. I have fairly good luck with Salmon and steelhead, (only my second year) but I certainly need help with lake Erie Walleye and perch! I live in Clarence, so I am close enough to both lakes. But after many fishless trips to Erie I now Concentrate my efforts on Ontario. I do like walleye and perch better for eating, so I do hope I can learn where to catch them.