Bad year for weekend warriors.

Thanks for the information guys. I have fairly good luck with Salmon and steelhead, (only my second year) but I certainly need help with lake Erie Walleye and perch! I live in Clarence, so I am close enough to both lakes. But after many fishless trips to Erie I now Concentrate my efforts on Ontario. I do like walleye and perch better for eating, so I do hope I can learn where to catch them.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Garrmny- the majority of walleye trolling techniques were born from Ontario salmon fishing. You just need to take that knowledge with you and tweak it for walleye. Once you put some time in you will put some tasty fillets in your freezer. Check out the LEU site. Tons of great info from guys who eat sleep and breath walleye

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Steelhead on top. A long ride out there though.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
The warm water from the St Lawrence could push down western basin thermocline.

Unfortunately the St Lawrence drains Lake O to the Atlantic. Has no effect on temps out west

On 7/27/2017 at 3:26 PM, battlehammer said:

Garrmny- the majority of walleye trolling techniques were born from Ontario salmon fishing. You just need to take that knowledge with you and tweak it for walleye. Once you put some time in you will put some tasty fillets in your freezer. Check out the LEU site. Tons of great info from guys who eat sleep and breath walleye

Yeah I check the LEU forum, but there aren't near as many members, and the reports are sketchy at times. My neighbor is a 70 year old lady and she wants to go walleye fishing,  but she hates to troll! I took her last year for the first time she fished in 40 years. She got a sheephead and I thought she was going to jump out of the boat. Funny. Well she wants to go for walleye, or perch, so when we get a calm day I will try it again. Maybe drift with crawlers. I got some of those mustad death-spin hooks. 

Last week with NE winds and six foot swells we took three walleye on Friday and nine walleye on Saturday east of the Cattaraugus Creek in around sixty eight foot of water. Other boats did well in eighty two foot with riggers set close to the bottom. The trip back to the dock took over an hour at six mph due to the pounding from the waves. A good pike wind though. When the waves came over the transom onto the deck, we called it over.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

8/6. Olcott. 12 noon.   I tried it. No Good. Went out about a mile. 3-5 footers. Went back to harbor. At the Launch there was a nice group from Ohio,  cleaning their fish. They were coming in as I was leaving. They had good success, but they were out 12 miles. Farther than I would go with my boat in these conditions. They did say it was a little calmer past 100 FOW. Another wasted weekend!  Maybe when I retire I will move to Florida. Lived there almost 8 years. Fished the Gulf of Mexico. Could usually get out. Didn't miss that many days. 

Guys, I fish on 100 foot party boats in NJ.. Its miserable fishing in anything over 2-4.. Yes you CAN fish on a 100 footer even at 4-7, and 30 knot wind, but its NO fun at all, and the fishing sucks anyway...  The rougher it is, and the windier it is, the worse the fishing is, for the most part.. There are exceptions to any rule of course..  I read   this sentence in an old fishing book  many decades ago, in an article about weather and fishing-

"Wind disrupts ANY fishing"......