canoe for lake ontario

canoe for lake ontario

Hi

Hope I don't bore you guys.

Have not decided if I want a canoe or a kayak for lake Ontario fishing.

I'm not going miles out but early in the morning and sometime evening the lake is very calm.

Leaning towards a canoe but wondering if I should get a small solo canoe like the old town pack canoe or a bigger one like 17' canoe.

I have been thinking of even going out in the Adirondacks and camping overnight or two.

77 yrs old now and not to much time left to do the things I want. I really don't want a Kayak even though they are more popular right now.

The 17' Wenonah Kingfisherman is a good boat .

anybody fish lake Ontario with a canoe. I watched a youtube video of canoeing lake Superior and two young girls did it and I was really impressed with them.

the lake had huge swells and some white caps but the girls were laughing and paddling without fear. The canoe seemed very stable.

on the return they paddled all through the night in total darkness 14 hrs in all without stopping.

Some girls HuH!

I have a cottage on the water in Kendall

right next to bald eagle marina.

I keep my Premier 22.5 ft pontoon there.

Edited by dfg4240
added files.

77 and wanting to paddle the big lake? My hat's off to you sir. I'm 65 and used a canoe for years after the boat was put away or when launches were closed. Two years ago i got a sit on top kayak. Way better than a canoe,especially in the wind. Much easier to paddle. Just my two cents. God bless and tight lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

thanks for the reply OLD MAN

Thought about the on top kayak-there are some good ones out there

I like the prowler big game or big game II and a couple of others.

I better make up my mind soon  because it is getting to the middle of the season.

God Bless right back at you

David

Sit on top kayak. Smooth paddling, faster than a canoe and easier to paddle. I have an older one and did a lot of bass fishing from it. Had a blast. Some of the new ones are all tricked out. They have peddles like a bicycle, are all rigged out to fish. Pretty cool but they're kinda heavy. Anyway I'd def get a kayak over a canoe, but get what you'll enjoy and gets you on the water

thought about it for a long time-I had a Wenonah backwater canoe for awhile and I think it weighed about 80 lbs or close to it.

Fished with my son but when he was not with me I struggled to get it up on top of the car.

You are right and a Kayak is the way for me to go now.

Some of those fishing kayaks look like tiny fishing vessels-the ones with paddles are around $2500..

I see a couple of them in craigslist.

thanks again

I own a Colorado pontoon boat that I use for casting for salmon once they start staging around the river mouths. It's very stable and all fits in my trunk. Trouble might be the 25 min to put together. Very comfortable to sit in and I bought a Minn Kota electric to help me move around. Not sure if you like going this route. 7FF94D58-452A-4900-A82B-561EE0E35856.png

Made up muy mind to go in slow.

Going to field and stream and get the eagle talon sit on top.

they are having a big sale.

I think it is $459 so I will try this and if I really like it I can get something better later on.

By the time I rig her up the price will be up there.

I going tonight but have to run through my selections.I want to put a fishfinder on it and have to mount a transducer  unless I can find something around that price that has all that.

Another option is Gander mountain is going out of business and the prowler 13 is down to about $680 Vs $459 for the field and stream eagle talon.

Just don't know which one but I am getting one tonight

I had a prowler. I think anyway, it was an ocean kayak. Great kayak. I sold it only to get a smaller one that would fit inside my camper. I now ha e 2 dagger sit ins (but I can't fit in too fat) and an emotion 10' sit on top. Did t notice much difference between the 13' and the 10' except for weight. The 13' might been a little faster but not enough to notice really. Get a quality paddle. Don't skimp out in that part.