Electric downriggers

tlax011

My modern kicker actually put out more charge than my old OMC engine did. With my Mercury pro kicker it never fags out no matter how much we are doing.

I also carry extra jumper cables to charge if a helper boat is needed. Before I got the kicker, I drained a battery and died. Thank goodness a boat came over with jumper cables and got me going again. You can get in a lotta trouble if you run out of electric out there and bilge isn't functioning.

Sent from my XT1650 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Adding another battery in the transom area with this additional kicker engine hanging on the transom can cause a dangerous condition upsetting the designed balance of the boat. Think of a wave coming over the transom.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

14 hours ago, jimski2 said:

Adding another battery in the transom area with this additional kicker engine hanging on the transom can cause a dangerous condition upsetting the designed balance of the boat. Think of a wave coming over the transom.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Certainly depends on size and type of boat. I have never had any waves come over any part of my 18 ft. Whaler from any direction despite having 2 batteries, 3 gal gas tank, and a 4 stroke 9.8 onthe back.

Edited by Sk8man

I actually have 3 deep cycle batteries back there. One is connected solely to the autopilot. I also have a 70 hp and a 9.9 kicker. 19 foot fairly deep boat. Water comes into the well once in awhile​ but certainly nothing to worry about. It may help that the boat is rated for a 130 hp and I am under powered! But it gets me along at 22 mph.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app