Which side for kicker?

tmcaul

Which side for kicker?

Mounted new 9.9 Yamaha on our 17 ft Sea Nymph yesterday. The previous kicker, a 1993 Johnson 9.9, had been mounted to the left of the main motor as viewed from the captain's steering position. The latch on the Yamaha used to raise and lower it is hard to reach because of interference with wiring bundle and the hydraulic line.  So...any problem with just moving kicker to other side of main motor? I can't think of any, but I am not experienced with this.

Thanks for any assistance from forum members.

Tom

Side doesn't matter. Mine is on the starboard side (left as looking back from my seat). I do a lot of solo fishing and wish it was on the other side to offset my weight and even out the boat more

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I have had it on the port side of mine and it works great that way and on my previous boat had it starboard and it seemed to be in the way much of the time fishing solo and netting on the starboard side to be nearer the steering. Another personal preference issue I think....

Edited by Sk8man

Sean is right about the transducer position mine are on the starboard side away from the kicker turbulance.

Which direction you troll into the waves the majority of the time is also a factor. The boat will push to the opposite side of where it is mounted. If you have a tendency to troll so the waves are hitting your port side then the motor should be mounted on the starboard side. If its 50/50 then you may need a small trolling bag mounted on the same side as the motor to counter the wind and wave action along with the motor wanting to push it to the opposite side of where its mounted., This is more of a issue with a auto pilot set up.