Trolling help

So this is my first year really getting into trolling. I started out with a smaller boat 15' ran two Seth green rigs and two dipseys in May and June. But recently got a bigger boat a Starcraft 170 super fisherman. And I just went out yesterday with newly installed downriggers. Ive slowly been adding more gear to my spread as I've learned the techniques. I was catching between 3-5 fish a trip with the smaller boat on Cayuga. Yesterday I only caught one :( I think my spread and technique are off a bit. I had 8pound weight on the one downrigger and ran a gambler rig pink dot. That's the only line that fired but I'm glad that rod went since it was my first time using a downrigger. I had two dipseys out with flasher flys and a Seth green with Sutton spoons. Went from 4-8 and only got one fish:/. Don't know if it's from all the debris and the weather and the fleas. Seemed like my dipseys weren't getting down deep and idk if I'm running my rigger right. Had the rigger about 30 feet behind the ball and on the bottom or close to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

jk1 has given you good advice. There can be a lot gained from direct observation and experience versus a description written on here. Little details or nuances can make alll the difference int he world. The downrigger line set 30 ft behind the boat may be fine for a spoon setup but with cowbells etc. and especially running close to bottom you should be running much shorter maybe 4-8 ft behind the weight. I would also suggest not fishing too close to the bottom until you feel completely comfortable and experienced with the riggers. A 10 lb weight would also be suggested for less blowback (although the 8 lb may have saved you equipment this time:))

I hope you aren't considering running close to the bottom with riggers  while using the Seth Green rigs:lol:. Don't get too disheartened yet about not catching as much as before as quite a few guys have commented about how the fishing has dropped off a bit with the water conditions and weather...just part of the ups and downs of fishing. Hang in there and take jk1's advice. Good luck.

If you don't think that you are fishing the right depths blowback was the culprit like stated above. Here is a chart to help understand the blow back. 20170416_125800.jpg hope this helps downriggers defiantly have a big learning curve.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

If you don't think that you are fishing the right depths blowback was the culprit like stated above. Here is a chart to help understand the blow back. 20170416_125800.thumb.jpg.931bd70134ea0eba7c2dfd4c112c96fc.jpg hope this helps downriggers defiantly have a big learning curve.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That would be angle of the dowrigger line right...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Your release needs to be on your rigger cable/line not the ball.  When you load up your rigger rod if the release is on the ball you will change the way your rigger ball travels and get a royal mess.  If you tried sliding another release down the cable while moving it will never reach the bottom with a line attached to it.   When your rigger is up and the ball is just under the surface you want your release where you can get to it without the ball breaking the surface protects your boat and riggers.