Seneca The love-hate relationship

Saturday 7-15-17

We fished the 333 box tournament launching out of Sampson.. We ran South towards Lodi and got into a bunch of floating debris and a lot of weeds so turned around and started a troll coming back North on the east side. We ran 2 cores 2 coppers 2 riggers 2 divers and one spoon diver.. we definitely struggled right from the start not marking a lot of fish or bait trolled almost all the way back to Sampson before we even had a strike and that was a sub legal salmon that was returned to the waters. At this point we decided to possibly try our luck out in the middle and then possibly over to the west side after a bit of searching we found some fish but getting some size was impossible... The whole day was a struggle for us not marking a lot of fish not catching a lot of fish cleaning weeds and fleas constantly... These are the days that my father always told me about Seneca does not give up her Goods all the time sometimes you really have to work and work hard we did but to no prevail.. We ended up with three very small fish to weigh in and we were surprised to see that everyone was struggling also but there was also a few really nice boxes of fish including grumpy cats (Butch) and Canandaigua Trollers (Bretts) boxes,and also Nicks big laker he weighed in for the 333 tournament very impressive boxes for the fishing conditions guys way to go!! I think we ended up finishing fifth out of about 12 - 15 boats... just want to tell Nick Overacker (reel stories) thanks for putting on these tournaments that he Joe and Butch are running.. Awesome job guys..

Sunday 7-16-17

We launched at Sampson again fishing the FLTA tournament..We ran 3 cores 3 coppers 2 riggers 2 rig rods 2 divers. We had located some fish late Saturday afternoon but could not get them to go so the plan was to go right back to those fish bright and early hoping they were active.. Right off the bat we got into some salmon rainbows and Browns worked that area for quite a while continually upgrading our box until we thought we had our decent silver fish. We then Troll North to a spot that has treated me extremely well over the last few years for lakers.. We did not Mark a lot of fish but we did however pick one up almost every pass we made after we figured out what they wanted.. I personally ran a whole tackle box of stuff down to those fish trying to figure out what would excite them and the only thing I found was the Iron Duke Aqua UV fly, that fly took every single lake trout that we caught Sunday... We caught 17 fish in total and had a decent five Fish Box on our way to weigh in and we're figuring probably a bunch of teams got into some decent fish in the South End of the lake after seeing some decent reports from earlier in the week but as we found out it seemed that everyone struggled down there.. We were able to pull a second place finish out and jumped up to the points lead.. Congratulations to Mike Rollo on his win.. Can't say enough about my team they work so hard constantly switching gear constantly cleaning weeds and fleas so the we always having our best presentation in the water and I can't emphasis enough how important that is in conditions like that if you're not willing to work you're not going to catch a lot of fish...

Mike

Sent from my SM-N910V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

No problem, thanks for coming! We had 18 boats Saturday for the box event. I hope it grows next year. Still one more box event to go.

Good job on the points jump.

Nick

Making your stories, Reel Stories, since 2011!!

Great job Mike! Wish we could have fished both days, makes a huge difference in knowing where they are to start. We fished South of Severne to start and the fish were there but tight lipped. Seneca was hot the week before but it changes quickly..

We picked two bows and five small 16-18" Lakers but I figured it would be foolish to box them, I was wrong! It shut off after 10 and I shoulda checked my rigger and dipsy more cause they were dragging little Lakers... Seneca always teaching me, or schooling me!! Lol

Hope we can make the last box tourney.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks for the report. Days like Saturday make me wonder why people fish "not fun" LoL. You guys probably have one of the beast crews on the fingers good luck on the rest of your year hopefully see you on 8/5 

Edited by darkwater1

14 hours ago, Iron Duke said:

Saturday 7-15-17

These are the days that my father always told me about Seneca does not give up her Goods

Mike good going and your dad was right on the bullseye with that statement:yes::)

Well done Mike! 

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

No problem, thanks for coming! We had 18 boats Saturday for the box event. I hope it grows next year. Still one more box event to go.  

Good job on the points jump.

Nick

Making your stories, Reel Stories, since 2011!!

Great job Mike! Wish we could have fished both days, makes a huge difference in knowing where they are to start. We fished South of Severne to start and the fish were there but tight lipped. Seneca was hot the week before but it changes quickly..We picked two bows and five small 16-18" Lakers but I figured it would be foolish to box them, I was wrong! It shut off after 10 and I shoulda checked my rigger and dipsy more cause they were dragging little Lakers... Seneca always teaching me, or schooling me!! Lol

Hope we can make the last box tourney.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks for the report. Days like Saturday make me wonder why people fish "not fun" LoL. You guys probably have one of the beast crews on the fingers good luck on the rest of your year hopefully see you on 8/5 

Mike good going and your dad was right on the bullseye with that statement:yes:[emoji4]

Thanks guys !! I have fished Seneca since I was 5 and I have seen the many ups and downs this lake has gone thru but I'm truly worried this time, don't get me wrong there are still fish to be caught but the #s of fish that were there are not there now.. I honestly have no answer.. Is it chemicals from the vineyards? Has the lake been overfished? Is there so much bait that the fish are not struggling to forage or is it a combination of all ?? Only time will tell and hopefully this is just another lake cycle and the lake will rebound healthier than ever.. Here's hoping..

Mike

Good job Mike no matter what is up with the lake you guys managed to create a good game plan and find some good fish 

Thanks Bobby. . You guys also had a great box of fish awesome job to you guys as well.. Keep up the great work your moving up fast gonna be a good race to the end

Mike