Wouldn't fish with out mine. Most guys would rather go with out a fish finder on the lake then without their fish hawk. Including me.

I got mine five years ago and my hookup rate increased on day one. Though if u only fish a few times a year might be cheaper options out there.

I bought an old 840 fish hawk for cheap and bought the 4x probe which works wt the 840 display and transducer. Save u about 300 or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Not even a comparison. It's a must have. In a perfect day, anyone can fish. It's the tough day, temps so over, not making allot, crazy currents, lure speed changing as direction changes, and in and on. I caught Kings out out of pontoon busy when I first started. 2 dipsy and a Cannon mini rigger. You can read your dipsy, pace other boats, find a good GPS speed, but nothing compared to be perfectly dialed in 100% of the time.

Sent from my XT1650 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Never fished the finger lakes but the 5 to 8 times a year you fish lake o it will be a huge improvement. This weekend i fished bluffers on the north shore and had to go 3.4+ sog to get 2.7 on my fish hawk on a west troll. East troll was 2.2 sog to get 2.7 on the fish hawk. Divers didnt look bad at 3.0 sog on the west troll but the fish were not biting cranked the speed up friday night after a half hour without a hit and with in 30 seconds had a double on the divers and it was like that the rest of the weekend double triples and quads. I really dont rely on it for temp but there is nothing more important then knowing the speed at the lures. Fishing without knowing the down speed to me you might aswell stay home and do yard work!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Bob, this year I bought a raymarine St 1000 autopilot for $353 and a fish hawk for $560. The best money I spent was for the autopilot, by far. I also fish alone often. The autopilot changed everything. The fish hawk? Not so sure it has made a huge difference. Still learning, but if I had to make a choice, I would buy an autopilot before a fish hawk. No substitute for being able to push a button and set lines, fight fish, etc.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I would rather leave my boat at the dock than not have my hawk. Not knowing what/where to start below and how, my speed actually is after having one for years would  S _ _K .

GENERAL suggestions:

Wise investment and always retie your rigger terminal and test it with a weight before putting your brand new probe on the first time after redoing the terminal end.

Don't let the new guys bring your probe up either :(  and you attach it in the am and detach after.  

Keep a spare probe, breakaway and batteries. If you can afford it.

For big boats maybe?:  I also have two transducers mounted, one as a spare.  Cheaper than lifting a big boat out to replace one, no hassle,  plus its a back up.  Came in handy last week when my original one quit working for some reason.  I fired up the other transducer and presto.  Back in the game.

Capt. Pete

Vision Quest

First, I would agree with one of the posters above that if you fish alone and don't have an autopilot that would be the first thing I'd add to your boat. Absolutely no question in my mind. And not just for the convenience, maybe more importantly it unties you from the steering wheel and allows you to spend time in the back of the boat observing what's going on. Steering is a handy convenience, observation of your presentation is priceless.

As to down temp and speed, a lot depends on where your at along the salmon fishing learning curve. For beginners to intermediate people it's probably the single most helpful tool. But there was a time before down speed units when people would run out, lower a handheld probe to find the temp breaks, and then troll adjusting their speed from other indicators on the boat such as the bend in a Dipsy rod, down rigger cable harmonic vibrations, and bubbles forming on rigger cables. Nowadays, most people who buy down speed units become so reliant on them that they don't become truly in-tune with the subtleties of currents affecting their presentation. In my opinion, keen observation to details will catch more fish than any single electronic aid. In fact I believe it's the single most important thing that separate top fisherman from good fisherman. After all, most everyone runs a full array of electronics.

Do I have one? Yes.

Is that rigger usually the first thing I set? Yes.

How often do I look at it during the day after setting up? Maybe half a dozen times. I'm far more interested in what the presentation is telling me than what the temp and speed is of a single lure in my spread.

Should you get one? Yes. But realize it's just one small part of what makes a consistently productive fisherman. If you become reliant and depend on it, then your staring at a tree and missing the forest.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I do watch the cables now. With the high water this year current is a problem, a mystery or asset . A week ago on Cayuga trolling north the cable hung dead straght down, going south. Going north my speed was almost 4 to 5 to spin a spoon. 2 going south. To those who pay little attention to detail, it would have been a fish less day. I had a great evening with landlocked and browns. The more I receive info the more I'm convinced I need to pick one up.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Riggers and diver blow back can be inaccurate !!!!

When fishing in a strong deep down current, your riggers down there can be fast or really slow while your higher divers look PERFECT.  They are running in two differnt worlds and judging how ones cables look or wire divers look may not be the same as your other gear and thats a fact, esp. when fishing the river currents west.

Often your divers may look limp and your down speed on a rigger ball may be right....  Or vice versa.

Lake O is a challenge and so is fishing, so the more variables you can tap into or eliminate will help your overall experience and success.  The items being mentioned in this post all help that cause, unfortunately, they all cost $$ lol...

Capt. Pete

Vision Quest

My new boat has a Terrova 80lb 24 volt Ipilot trolling motor. It's amazing. It keeps my fishmaster on course even in 3'-4' waves.
It also is amazing for the Genny River, Erie canal etc. Just press the anchor button and it pins the boat perfectly. It would be ultimate for perch fishing also.
Also very easy to install yourself.

Wave 2 to 3 ft this weekend, surface speed .08 to 1.2, ball speed 2.4. change direction surface 3.2 and ball 2.4.

Alsp temp is great I look for 50 degrees then some presentations above and below.

Speed is critical at your lure. There are enough things you can not control, meat verses flies depth the fish are hitting.

Riggers verses Dipsy. I also have auto pilot and would not leave the dock without it working either. 

1 hour ago, Jeremy Goodison said:

My new boat has a Terrova 80lb 24 volt Ipilot trolling motor. It's amazing. It keeps my fishmaster on course even in 3'-4' waves.
It also is amazing for the Genny River, Erie canal etc. Just press the anchor button and it pins the boat perfectly. It would be ultimate for perch fishing also.
Also very easy to install yourself.

You can also use it to steer your boat/autopilot, increase speed, push with your kicker and steer with your auto pilot, do it all the time.

10 hours ago, Bassin Bob said:

If I buy a auto pilot it will be costly as I have a steering wheel.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Check my post in the "This old Boat Forum"  It says Raymarine in the title. I have a steering wheel too. I put pictures on there. I simply disconnect my Steering when I run the autopilot. It drives my main outboard and my kicker. The ST 1000 is made for sailboats but I adapted it to work with my outboard. It has always been a battle fishing by myself. No More. It is so easy now. $363 Total from Hodges Marine. 

I will personally disagree.  Just bought the newest x4d and scrapped the depth raider which cost about half.  I find the fish hawk is not that reliable as it jumps around so often.  My biggest problem that makes me want to go back to depth raider is the difference in speed when a line is connected to the downrigger that the fish hawk is on.  Has anyone found the difference in speed after releasing a rod from the clip and while a rod is still running clipped on the rigger.  The coated cable was the only reason I wanted to get away from depth raider.  I may be the only guy on here who believe the fish hawk is overrated.  Also I love how the readout is still reading 1.7 mph after the probe has been pulled out of the water and we are flying back to port.  When its working great you will pound fish, if it is giving you a false readout all day and you believe it to be accurate you will go skunked.  It has its quirks, which nobody seams to talk about.  Customer service seems excellent, Ill give them that.