Emergencies on the water / closed ramps

The other day, I was thinking about the ramp being closed (barricaded off with Jersey Barriers) at Sandy Creek along with Sandy Creek Marina.  If there was a medical emergency on the water, I would have to meet the emergency responders all the way up at East Fork Marina.  This is an issue that I think needs some attention.  Sandy is more than likely not the only port with this issue right now. 

Edited by GAMBLER

In a pinch I think the Brockport Yatch Club could be used to get an medical injury to shore  and ambulance or fire rescue.  I agree the launch would be best option and getting that usable for emergencies at least would be a goal.  But until then if a life and death situation occurs that would be were I would ask to meet help.

4 minutes ago, pvelyk said:

In a pinch I think the Brockport Yatch Club could be used to get an medical injury to shore  and ambulance or fire rescue.  I agree the launch would be best option and getting that usable for emergencies at least would be a goal.  But until then if a life and death situation occurs that would be were I would ask to meet help.

It has a locked gate Pat. I'm not sure if they have a key or not. 

Hmm I think you are on the right path here for our port and others.  There needs to be a plan and people need to know what to do.   Not sure what possibilities are in a worse case scenario.  Maybe gurney could be rolled around jersey barriers or gate.  Necessity may require improv but planning is best.  Bring this up like you did before a issue arrives could be the difference.

I've been in the emergency services for many years and am currently 16 yrs into a career with the city of Norwich fire dept. As a full time fire fighter Critical Care emt. Rest assured if there was a problem the resources needed to help the person in need would get to them. Locks don't stop us. And if it was bad enough I'm sure a jursey barrier wouldn't stop us. The most important thing is to give detailed information to the 911 dispatch when you call. That gets all of the right resources started. I'm also sure that the closed ramps and access points are not a secret to the local agency's and they have made alternate plans if a problem was to arise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The biggest thing with any emergency is to give detailed info to dispatch and if your out on the water with a time sensitive emergency is to let dispatch know what emergency is and where you are headed. I would find it very hard to believe that there are not contigincy plans in effect to take care of emergencies. I'm not from the area but I know in my area even just something a simple as a temporary road closure is relayed to dispatch and then alternate routes are planned in case emergencies are dispatched

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Lily is 100% correct. I'm sure there's already plans in place for any scenario that may arise and there's nobody better at adapting and overcoming obstacles than the emergency services. The most important thing is if God forbid something does happens, that you go to where you say you're going so they can move/unlock anything if need be. There's nothing that can't be overcome.