Running copper off the side

Running copper off the side

I'm thinking of picking up two 300 copper setups. Would it be a stupid idea for me to run my coppers off the side rod holders on the inside. And my two dipsys on the outside on a 3.5 setting?  Or should I just pick up 2 more wire dipsy rods?

is it productive to run copper like this?  i.e. Not off of a planer board?

Run the coppers off of boards. You'll have a mess the other way.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

This one I can answer emphatically from experience. Tileman Dan is absolutely correct. I ended up with wire dipsy, copper, and leadcore all in a ball on my deck. Learning experience to say the least.

Stayed away from copper ever since. To stay with this thread, can anyone give some basic tips on how to launch a copper line on a board when dipsy is out in order to avoid a mess?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Since your divers have a steeper dive curve and will run deeper than a your copper a copper run inside of your divers will tangle with the wire every time the diver trips and comes up towards the center.  Standard rule of thumb is with lines off the side to always run your deepest lines closest to the boat.

You can run a copper down the chute, straight off the back, as long as you get it out of the way when you bring in any other line.

The key to launching a copper on a board over top of your divers is to keep the boat running straight, deploy the copper slowly down the chute and let the copper stabilize straight behind your boat before hooking it to your board.  Since copper's dive curve isn't as steep as your divers'  it should pass over top with no problems....unless you have some strange currents, the diver trips, you change speed or turn the boat 

You can also carefully cast the board over the dipsey with the clicker on and drag off with a little practice.

Edited by Sk8man

22 hours ago, mudflat said:

Since your divers have a steeper dive curve and will run deeper than a your copper a copper run inside of your divers will tangle with the wire every time the diver trips and comes up towards the center.  Standard rule of thumb is with lines off the side to always run your deepest lines closest to the boat.

You can run a copper down the chute, straight off the back, as long as you get it out of the way when you bring in any other line.

The key to launching a copper on a board over top of your divers is to keep the boat running straight, deploy the copper slowly down the chute and let the copper stabilize straight behind your boat before hooking it to your board.  Since copper's dive curve isn't as steep as your divers'  it should pass over top with no problems....unless you have some strange currents, the diver trips, you change speed or turn the boat 

x3

I run copper off the big boards often.

How I run a dipsey when doing that, just drop your dipsey's off the back, ley em go out 50-60 ft, engage the reel, set it in the holder on the side, and once it takes its set, feed it out to the desired depth.

No tangles.