Fishgill,

Opinions will vary all over the board on this one.

Some guys change them out others don't. I think it is a personal preference.

Billy V has run the factory tips for over a season I believe and changed when they wear out.

My personal feeling is if the tip should fail especiall during derby time and it's "THE FISH" I would regret not putting the twili-tip on fromthe get go.

I am one that changes to the twili-tip right away.

Clarke

Fishgill,

Opinions will vary all over the board on this one.

Some guys change them out others don't. I think it is a personal preference.

Billy V has run the factory tips for over a season I believe and changed when they wear out.

My personal feeling is if the tip should fail especiall during derby time and it's "THE FISH" I would regret not putting the twili-tip on fromthe get go.

I am one that changes to the twili-tip right away. Clarke

I'm with Clarke on this one. Change it out right away so you not have down time with one of the most productive rods at this time of the year.

This is the second season on the factory tip for me. 9'6" Daiwa Heartland rod. Now that you say something I am going to check it tonight. I havent even looked at it to see the wear from a season and a half. I will report back this weekend.

I'm at the end of season #2 with these particular rods and no sign of failure on either tip. That being said, I will replace both tips in the near future as they both have some grooves in them, but nothing that remotely worries me that they'll fail.

So, I checked my heartlands that have had wire line on them since the spring of 2007. I fish Kings basically all summer becasue I follow thier migration, so these rods take a pounding. Not even an indication of a groove starting to form in the tip.

i too like the idea of changing out the tip from the start. the wire rods on my boat now have never seen a day on the water without a twilly tip. i mean if your setting up the rod now, you should complete the process now. why wait?