cannon rigger issue

cannon rigger issue

I have a Cannon rigger that is having, I think a clutch issue. The unit is a manual crank Cannon Uni-troll 10. Upon lowering the rig into the water the spool will grab & stop the ball from lowering. If I crank it counter-clockwise a bit it will start to lower again. But then it will stop again. This will happen till I have the ball to the correct depth. Any ideas? Is there a viable service center other than Cannon I can send the unit to be repaired? Or do you think I can repair it myself?

Any help would be welcome & appreciated.

Be safe! 

Thanks Jigstick. I will tear it a part & see what's happening. I just thought I would ask before I tried to tear the rigger down & find out you need a special tool or can't put it back together correctly without factory assistance.

Thanks again.

B Safe! 

Fish307.com in Lake Goerge provides servicing if you need it and they have parts as well. Good folks to deal with.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2017 at 11:13 AM, ripnlip said:

cannon rigger issue

I have a Cannon rigger that is having, I think a clutch issue. The unit is a manual crank Cannon Uni-troll 10. Upon lowering the rig into the water the spool will grab & stop the ball from lowering. If I crank it counter-clockwise a bit it will start to lower again. But then it will stop again. This will happen till I have the ball to the correct depth. Any ideas? Is there a viable service center other than Cannon I can send the unit to be repaired? Or do you think I can repair it myself?

Any help would be welcome & appreciated.

Be safe! 

Have you tryed backing off the clutch adjustment a tad ? Carols brother use to back his off a lot and keep a leather glove on to slow it down ..... not sure what the manual cranks look like butnthe electric clutch parts would be a easy to replace......good luck

ERABBIT,

Thanks! I will give that a try as well. Going to tear it down & see whats going on with it.

I want to thank everyone who posted with ideas. Really appreciate all the help!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey did you get then fixed yet? I have the same problem all the time the clutch pads breaking. Really simple back the handle off and remove , theres a thrist washer and spring in there so pay attention to the order they came out, take the 4 screws off the back and push the shaft through that the handle threads onyou will see a fiber pad inbetween 2 washers remove and replace. Sometimes the washers get bent up to but all the parts are really cheap and available on fish 307 just make sure to buy lots of extra pads also had the threads on the hanle strip on me and cannon sent me a updated one for free but fish 307 also carries it.

Thanks Rtrucking! I did go thru the handle & basically word for word did what you had said. Got the parts & it works great now! I really appreciate your help. Now I know since you replied with the same information to what I did at least I know I did it correctly.

Thanks! Good luck the rest of the year!

B Safe!