Share your rookie stories!!

Share your rookie stories!!

Just for fun......we have all had the ONE friend, a rookie troller crew member make a mistake leaving you saying WTH?! From a Bill Dance style dipsy rod hookset to tightening the drag on a running king. What are your stories??  Names can be left out LOL  . Don't want any hurt feelings, just for fun, GO!

it was night time in august last year and me and my dad were in our 15 foot sylvan (size doesn't matter) and we were drifting a drop off for walleye and my dad hooked into a nice fish, so he's fighting it and its running.... we finally get it to the side I get it into my grandpas net (we use because he rarely fishes any more) I lift it out of the water and... it rips the net luckily the gills got tangled and we got it in the live well, then I'm looking at his line and its frayed like crazy so I look at what he calls his (trusty pole) and the end clay was missing and slowly fraying the line! 

Back in the Fall of 1975 I was fishing with 2 friends from work on the one guys boat out of Sodus Point. We launched at what was then Bob Chase's Restaurant and Tackle Shop. We got to the channel and started out of it and one of the guys who couldn't wait to get a line out and had never caught a salmon before had a topline with a chartreuse Manistee Wobbler on it right through the channel and just as we reached the lighthouse the line started ripping out like there was no tomorrow. The guy instinctively put his thumb down on the spool to stop the line from going out. He had about a 20 lb lking on the other end of his line. I couldn't believe my eyes when histhumb starting smoking from the friction and he let out a real war whoop along with a few expletives I can't record here:lol: Two weeks later I saw him in the administration building at work and he still had a big bandage on it :lol: Lesson one: never thumb spool a king....

Edited by Sk8man

Where to start lol. From rigging dipsy on backward to having so tight you couldn't pull them out to throwing anchor in not tied off. The anchor was probably the funniest out in 35 or so foot of water out of sodus bay bass fishing with my friend and his grandpa. Luckily he was a good swimmer dove right down and got it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

When I first heard of wire dipsys I had no idea what that meant so I took my 300 copper and put a dipsy on the end lol. Somehow caught fish on it for a couple trips before I was corrected. Also dropped a net overboard. Set my rigger release so tight that I had to bring the rigger up to release it then fight the fish lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Our first trip to Lake O we had a monster blow and sat in our room staring at each other for three days and then went home. The next spring we blew a water pump before getting our first spread deployed. That was the start to our rookie season.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I too have seen dipsy rigged backward.

More than once I've seen people set the dipsey on 3R but not realize the "R" is not as you're looking off the stern, amazing how far a dipsey set wrong can run across the back of the boat and grab everything in its way.

I failed to tell one guy that when you release the fish you don't through the boga grip back with it, it's not a parting gift.  

Trying to cheat two spin doctors and flies on the same rigger....not a great idea.  

When tilting the kicker motor up so we can run back to port on the main, its best to take it out of gear and shut it off first lol.  

I had a rookie on one day and he was insistent he would kill a lamprey and throw it overboard while I reset the rod. Six days later our garage stunk so bad you could hardly stand it. For the life of me I couldn't figure out where the smell was coming from, then I found it. A six day old lamprey in the splash well has quite an odor.  I thought my wife was gonna make me sell the boat...and tear down the garage. 

Lost a kings ransome in gear but had a lot of fun.....glad those days are over and we NEVER do anything stupid anymore...lol. 

One spring day few years back we were fishing browns out of sodus . Wind picked up pretty good sw and built a decent 2 to 3 ft. Chop. I was using my old wood planer boards that my sad had made. Wave flipped one, Dove straight under the boat, pulled line off the planer reel drag going before I could do anything , crossed under the hull , came up on port side wrapping the port board and snapped the planer line. Dead drift , in neutral , planer line under out drive 2 boards wrapped , 6 lines all together and only lost one release .....45 mins later . We called it a day lol. Used every word my mom had told me not to use that day lol. It's Def a memory me and dad share . Glad to have new boards now!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

One spring day few years back we were fishing browns out of sodus . Wind picked up pretty good sw and built a decent 2 to 3 ft. Chop. I was using my old wood planer boards that my sad had made. Wave flipped one, Dove straight under the boat, pulled line off the planer reel drag going before I could do anything , crossed under the hull , came up on port side wrapping the port board and snapped the planer line. Dead drift , in neutral , planer line under out drive 2 boards wrapped , 6 lines all together and only lost one release .....45 mins later . We called it a day lol. Used every word my mom had told me not to use that day lol. It's Def a memory me and dad share . Glad to have new boards now!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That sounds horrible

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

And there is always the first time I launched my 13 ft whaler and forgot the plug.....looked behind the truck to see my dad struggling with it and waving wildly and we had quite a time gettig it back on the trailer. :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

This Happened to me, or better yet this is how I learned a valuable lesson.

I was trolling on Lake Champlain when I got too close to the reef in Farm Town Bay, when my rigger ball got hung up. I tried to back up to get on the other side of it trying to get it loose, but the wind was blowing and I was losing ground. So instead of chancing having my 10STX ripped off, I cut the rigger cable. 

I could have continued fishing, but figured I'd get off the water and head up to Dutillios, (sorry for spelling)

to buy another cable, 10lb ball and termination kit.

Now back on the water, my partner and I, After installing one of the sleeves  that came with the new 300 ft cable and crimping it, we hand wound the cable onto the rigger. Now I wanted to make sure it was wound tight on the rigger reel. How could I do that? Well I had a great idea,  I'd go out to 300FOW let the cable out to 280 ft with the new ball i just bought and just wind it back up. Well, at about 275 feet out I looked at the rigger reel and all of a sudden, the single crimp i had put on must have let loose and there goes my new cable, ball and termination kit. Talk about being Pssd off!!

Lesson learned, ALWAYS use both sleeves and crimp each one at 90 degrees from each other that are included with the new cable, That's what I did with the next one I bought and as an added level of confidence, I tied a knot in the end of the cable just incase the crimped sleeves ever let loose.

Boat Safe

Egoody

2 days after I got my driver license my best friend and I lied to my father and told him we were going to go to my friends camp on schroon lake fishing for the weekend. So Thursday afternoon we loaded up the boat a 1986 Starcraft 16ft and headed to Oswego. Friday morning at 4:30 we were launching the boat my buddy was with the boat when I parked the truck. Just got around the last dock when my buddy says " what the f*** my foots getting wet." I turned on a flash light and we had water up to the consoles. I knew enough to hammer the throttle and turn on the bilge. it finally got on plane and were able to get the plug put in from the inside.

That next day we got into a school of koho's and were catching one as soon as we could get a lure back down. We were with a group of boats and the weather was changing fast, after a while all the other boats were gone and we were in big trouble. The storm was between us and shore and by the time I was smart enough to call it a day the waves were coming over the bow and the thunder storm was between us and shore. I ended up "running" off shore to try and get away from it and somehow I kept the boat from sinking. We both put on life jackets and at one point my buddy was under the passenger dash in the fetal position. "Something I still rag on him about to this day."

That was my first solo trip to the big O about 2 weeks after my 16th birthday. We got home that Saturday night and We were still so scared that We told dad the truth, he wasn't even mad just glad we were OK. That's was over 15 years ago and I still remember that first trip like it was yesterday. I had been on the lake 100's of time with my old man before that weekend but that one was a big eye opener that I had a lot to learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk