Diver Rod Angle

Hey guys, 

I am a beginning fisherman but have been out a few times. We have a center console with a t-top and rod holders on top. I run two downriggers, one on each corner and was looking to add a diver to the mix but don't have rod holders allowing the rod to sit parallel to the water. Has anyone tried running a diver down the shoot between the two riggers with a vertical rod angle? or have any suggestions? 

Thanks for the advice, 

Dan

You can run a diver down the chute, with the diver setting on zero, almost like your running a copper down the chute, just be careful turning and keep your leads on the riggers on the shorter side, like less than 10-15 feet.... nothing worse than catching your lures on the wire. But anytime you run something down the chute, you will have to clear it, if you get a fish on the rigger and that is not fun. It is worth it to find a mount to run the diver as intended out of the way, off to the side and down away from riggers. IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I experimented last year with a "chute" diver. I ran two riggers on each corner out 90* and two side divers on a "2" setting. I then ran one diver down the chute on a "0" setting. It took many fish and worked well. I highly suggest NOT doing it when the currents are strong though. Let it out extremely slow and keep the boat straight as it is deployed. Wide turns as well

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

[mention=149426]reelintense[/mention] and [mention=144505]bout time[/mention] thank you so much for your feedback. I am assuming the rod was more perpendicular to the water? 

I had mine in a flush mount rod holder (30*) or so. You can run it about 45* or better but I'd make sure that the drag is loose. I also secured the reel with a strap (bungee) as extra security measure

'Bout Time
Mike

I know you're talking about a chute rod, but I got tite lok holders for the gunwhales. They're on the inexpensive side for metal holders and can be removed, only leaving the small plate.

IMG_6536.thumb.JPG.bcad220b6e2e82242f18a32d00c50984.JPG

(You can see the little black mounting plate. I'll remove the holder when I get a chance and post another pic.)

It might be worth spending $80 and having 1 on each side to get your spread balanced and further out. Just my opinion.

- GBL

Puffer II: 1802 Trophy

Green Boat: 1966 Starcraft Mariner-V 14

This is the only piece that needs to be permanently mounted for tite lok holders
IMG_6538.JPG
This is more for anyone else following the thread, than me trying to convince you or your dad! [emoji23]

- GBL

Careful with those tight lok holders for dipsys they can strip out pretty quick

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks minion. Mine are bolted through the metal gunwhale and I give them a hard wiggle at the launch (or night before) every couple trips. I hear you though. Good advice.

- GBL

It's not the mounting plate or really the holder itself, it's the lock washer pins part. The tite lok holders came on my old boat and we're soon replaced with cisco after almost loosing a dipsy rod and a 450 copper set up

We use these side riggers when trolling for stripers in the ocean. Just be sure to use the safety rope on them to attach to the rod. They sit in and lock in to your flush mount holders and really aren't that expensive. When done just take them out

These are the wahoo industries ones. Most affordable.

41737XL.jpg

1 hour ago, Dtmasportsman said:

We use these side riggers when trolling for stripers in the ocean. Just be sure to use the safety rope on them to attach to the rod. They sit in and lock in to your flush mount holders and really aren't that expensive. When done just take them out

41737XL.jpg

This is what I have been using for Seth Greens and wire rods for the past twenty five years and they work great providing the recessed holders on the boat are substantial (i.e. inserts not made of cheap  plastic) and the grooves are seated on the metal pin properly.

41737XL.thumb.jpg.3e9c05f7bdb4f2d26c66a529f484d065.jpg

That's perfect, thanks for sharing that with me.

I know this may be a little cheaper than the wahoo industries one but seemed to get good reviews and I only fish 8-10 times a year. The price is half that of the wahoo one. Any thoughts?

Screenshot_20170724-150607.png