Seneca 7-20

South end, morning. Set up in about 250 FOW just north of the salt plant. Marked lots of smaller bait schools, not many fish around them. Picked 4 salmon under 10" and one around 18" that came off at the back of the boat. All came off the same rod: dipsy out 115 with a rapala scatter husky jerk. Pink and white. Had one random knock off on a green spoon. Lots of weeds and fleas are getting worse.

Lots of marks on the east side in less than 100FOW, but seems like it is just weeds suspended or some other junk.

We also saw a bunch of dead alewife floating around. Didn't look like anything happened to them. The seagulls were enjoying them from what we could tell.

I wish it was more exciting, but that's about par for me. I wish I had 6 of those rapalas. They really seemed to like that one.

I only saw 2 other boats out fishing all morning. Neither stayed within sight for more than a couple passes.

The smaller fish are pleasant to see anyways. Next year they will hopefully stick around and be bigger!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Lol I really am excited… I used to fish the south end all the time and caught a ton of fish on yo-zuri pins minnows. I haven't fished the south end in two years. last year I fished sampson or severn pt a couple times and could only manage one or two fish. I have since moved to Cayuga and Ontario. Good to hear its back on the upswing. I might have to try it out sometime soon… much shorter drive for me!

I'm not so sure it's on the upswing yet. Other people who spend more time out can chime in. I'm no expert by any means on the subject. Other lakes around are quietly giving up some good fish. You have to work on Seneca to get something.

Others have mentioned on here, but seeing dead baitfish floating around is kind of new. It would be interesting to know what is killing them in the numbers you see. One or two is normal, but seeing a dozen or so that the seagulls didn't get yet is odd!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

The die off was related to a parasite attacking the gills of bait. Mostly alwives.

I have ran over 20 charters this season already on seneca, and i have had great success on 95 percent of the trips this year. Last year the catch ratio was very low. This year, I would say it has tripled. 5 years ago, this lake was amazing. I personally believe it's getting better... but I am just one guy. ..

Making your stories, Reel Stories, since 2011!!

The die off was related to a parasite attacking the gills of bait. Mostly alwives.

I have ran over 20 charters this season already on seneca, and i have had great success on 95 percent of the trips this year. Last year the catch ratio was very low. This year, I would say it has tripled. 5 years ago, this lake was amazing. I personally believe it's getting better... but I am just one guy. ..

Making your stories, Reel Stories, since 2011!!

Interesting with the parasite. The world is a scary place for a baitfish!

I'm happy your success rate is up! The numbers of little fish in Seneca this year remind me of what we saw on Cayuga last year. Cayuga is doing well for most people this year. My opinion isn't weighted as heavy as you local guys, though. You have years of seeing what the lakes do over what I have and make it out way more than I do!