Cannon Rod Holder Help

bfarrow

I purchased two of the cannon dual axis rod holders and intended to mount them on a base that is already attached to my boat that is a multi option cannon downrigger base. It turns out that the rod holder base and the downrigger bases for cannon products are not the same - not even close.

I do not want to have to create new holes in the boat and like the location of the current base. Is anyone aware of a mounting option? Is there a universal plate that may work? I see one from Cisco but I'm not sure if that works. Does anyone know if the track mounting systems will match the holes on any of the cannon downriggers? I know the manual mini mag downrigger unit base fits on this cannon mount. I have two electric and two manual downriggers and will never use the manuals. I prefer dipsey divers and that is why I got the more sturdy rod holders. I figured staying with cannon products only would work fine - I was wrong. Help is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Mark hole locations center punch and drill with .201 (number 7) drill and tap 1/4 -20. As ontherise said would work great and be clean looking...if you would like send me some pics of what your trying to do...not sure how far apart we are but I could do it for you if that would help you.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I have the single rod rodholders that are separate from the downrigger itself. I think that would fit - but the regular base does not match. I also have a slightly different model of cannon downrigger base.
I'm In Rochester Stoneam2006- how far away are you or do you know anyone close to here that can help?
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I'm south of you a few hrs wish I knew someone up there who could help....if you want to throw in box and ship to me i could do it only take a few min or if you have a hand drill I could talk you thru it...pm me if you would like

I have a different holder.  I bought two of these separately because I didn't have the space for that larger downrigger based system (which I REALLY like the look of by the way.)   My issue with this one is that it doesn't screw into the holes on the downrigger base that looks SIMILAR to the Cannon one I copied a photo of below.  The difference with the one I have versus the one below is mine has MULTIPLE holes for many different size downriggers.  I just want to mount this rod holder on that base. 

StoneAM2006 - Did you do this with a hand drill?  I see a Harbor Freight Tap and Die Set and I'm not sure if I could do this with a simple drill.  Is it possible?

cannon-dual-axis-adjustable-rod-holder-1907002-18.jpg$_35.JPG

I've thought about that, but before I spend even more money purchasing objects to put on the base mount, I'm not certain now that the holes on the track will mirror the holes on the mount- in which case I will still have to drill into the cannon mount to create holes for that new track- which I could have just drilled holes I guess for the base anyways and saved the expense of the track. I really like the track idea though. How far apart are the holes? I could go measure to see if it would work.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

This is actually a better photo of a base that resembles mine.  Does anyone have experience mounting a track system to something like this?  It has MANY different pre-drilled locations for mounting items, but I have no idea if a track will fit and my confidence that Cannon-to-Cannon mounting is possible....

Image result for Cannon Swivel Downrigger tab base

This is actually a better photo of a base that resembles mine.  Does anyone have experience mounting a track system to something like this?  It has MANY different pre-drilled locations for mounting items, but I have no idea if a track will fit and my confidence that Cannon-to-Cannon mounting is possible....

Cannon-Downrigger-Swivel-Mounting-Base.JPG

I have not done this exactly but am a machinist and welder by trade. You could do this with a hand drill with patience. First mark holes and center punch. Then drill with a number 7 (.201 diameter) drill to desired depth (length of screw minus piece it's going into plus a little bit for clearance). Take a larger drill or chamfer tool and put a small chmfer (break sharp edge on hole) on hole. Then carefully tap with 1/4 20 tap using either a tap handle or cresent wrench. Pretty easy once you have done it. I recommend trying on a different piece or even in a different location for the first one but it is honestly very easy. Just make sure to do your best drilling it straight. Put in clamp or attach to something so part your drilling doesn't move.