Tying a trolling fly

Tying a trolling fly

I tie my own flys for stream fishing.  I want to tie some salmon trolling flys.  I looked over some info from the Purple Taco website, but I just cant believe that these salmon flies are held together with scotch tape.  There has to be a way to tie this that is more secure.  How are you guys securing your mylar and skirting material to the head?  Just Epoxy it on?  Snelling the hooks and making the tournament rigging is easy enough.  But making the skirts is my problem

Will let you and everyone else in on a little secret that isn't a secret. I use very little scotch tape on mine. Just enough to secure it and roll it on the tubing and secure it. Then 210 thread to secure it and head cement the thread to ensure it doesnt go anywhere we've taken close to 40 fish now on a one of the flies I tie and haven't lost a strand of mylar yet. If you have anymore questions feel free to msg me.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

no tape for me. couple wraps of thread on head.... first color mylar... couple wraps thread... 2nd mylar... couple wraps thread. last mylar...   heavy wrap thread... tie knot.. super glue

Tied hundreds of flies. I use double sided permanent scotch tape...very easy...I can whip them out and never had a problem coming apart trolling.  i put a couple wraps of thread and coat in hard head cement....done. 

14 hours ago, pjprod said:

Tied hundreds of flies. I use double sided permanent scotch tape...very easy...I can whip them out and never had a problem coming apart trolling.  i put a couple wraps of thread and coat in hard head cement....done. 

I don't even bother with the thread... coat the tape with clear nail polish.... never had one come apart.