Olcott Friday, 7/21/17 0600-1230

Olcott Friday, 7/21/17 0600-1230

Went east of Harbor to around the smokestack. WE COULD NOT FIND THE KINGS. :( Started in 120 FOW trolled N/ NE. Got 8 lb Coho in 195 FOW,. Then had several hours of nothi ng all the way to 330 FOW. Circled back all the way to 100 FOW. Lost a steelhead and Coho on the way due to bad netting technique. then went quite a while with nothing again, trolling  NW to 350 FOW. Caught a few steelhead out there and a couple small ones.  Ended up with 3 steelhead in the box,(one was an 8 pounder) and one Coho. Threw 3 back, and lost 3.  Here is the thing: there was so many weeds in the lake, the Spin Doctors/paddles were constantly getting weeded up. I'm certain we dragged weeds for much of the time without knowing it, and I was trying to check lines often which is difficult with mono line and chinook divers.....because you cannot trip the release with mono line- there is too much stretch. I went to mono after being out Sunday and there were so many fleas, had no choice.   Finally I got smart and went to just a spoon on each line, no spin doctor, and I think that saved us. They stayed much cleaner. My setup was one Downrigger 50-65 feet, One Downrigger at 70-100. One #4 chinook diver on third hole, 200 feet back,  One #4 chinook diver on third hole, 250 feet back. Used SD with Flies, and SD with Spoons, and as stated above due to weeds, switched to clean spoons for much of the day. The down water temp seemed warm (50-55) around the smokestack area all the way out to 250 FOW, even 80 feet down. Surface was about 70.  Seemed to find cooler water as we went WEST back toward Olcott, then we found 44-45 degree, at about 80 down. I kept the speed at the ball between 2.4 and 2.7 all day.  Hopefully Sunday will better, I can't g out Saturday. Maybe 15 rigs parked in the lot at 0600.

Edited by garrymny

Gary,We were fishing same water as you today. Fleas were awful. Had to handline a few fish cause they clogged up the eyes.    We went 12 for 18..   just under 19bs biggest . Landed another mid teen but dropped 3 other matures, one of which straightened a hook on 400 copper 30 feet behind the boat after a 20min fight

11 hours ago, joe g said:

Gary,We were fishing same water as you today. Fleas were awful. Had to handline a few fish cause they clogged up the eyes.    We went 12 for 18..   just under 19bs biggest . Landed another mid teen but dropped 3 other matures, one of which straightened a hook on 400 copper 30 feet behind the boat after a 20min fight

Gee wiz Joe, way to hurt my pride! LOL. I guess I need more Salmon Schooling. We just could not get a King. One of the 3 we lost was another Coho. The other two were nice Steelheads. If you don't mind sharing, can you tell me where you found the Kings, for my education, so next time I will know something to try.  One time I did try real deep 150 feet , but I didn't keep it there for very long. The rest of the time my riggers were one at 50-65 and one at 80- 90. Most of the fish were caught on a 30 lb mono chinook diver, with a BassPro Holgraph thing, trailed by a spoon. The weeds did not bother that as much as the SD's, which were constantly weeded up until I removed them. We fished from 15 out to I'd say 330. Most action was deeper, on steelheads. Thanks, Garry.

10 hours ago, garrymny said:

Gee wiz Joe, way to hurt my pride! LOL. I guess I need more Salmon Schooling. We just could not get a King. One of the 3 we lost was another Coho. The other two were nice Steelheads. If you don't mind sharing, can you tell me where you found the Kings, for my education, so next time I will know something to try.  One time I did try real deep 150 feet , but I didn't keep it there for very long. The rest of the time my riggers were one at 50-65 and one at 80- 90. Most of the fish were caught on a 30 lb mono chinook diver, with a BassPro Holgraph thing, trailed by a spoon. The weeds did not bother that as much as the SD's, which were constantly weeded up until I removed them. We fished from 15 out to I'd say 330. Most action was deeper, on steelheads. Thanks, Garry.

do you have a lundish type boat with orange lettering or trim? if so i mean we were literally right next to you

23 hours ago, garrymny said:

Nope. I have an old 1974 caravelle. Faded gold/yellow color. Has a Bimini top which is sometimes unfolded and sometimes not. Has a 70 hp Johnson and a 9.9 Evinrude kicker. Has wide brown stripe down side.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

ya saw that boat too. we were within a football field of you alot of the day