Netting Techniques- lost 3 today -bad technique

Netting Techniques- lost 3 today -bad technique

We usually net the fish head first, as we are always told. But today, my buddy said, we need to try a new technique- net them from behind. His reasoning was because when you are trolling along at 2.5 mph, the minute you plunge the net into the water, the net floats right back with the current and creates a difficult situation, as you have no "basket" just a wad of net. I had to agree, and I have experienced this many times. You don't dare stop the boat or you have one hell of a line tangle/ planer board tangle. So, we tried  this method, and it worked good....one time. He put the net behind the fish, the basket gaped open as we planned, and I just let the fish slip back into the net. The next two times, we lost both fish. He didn't get the net into the water deep enough, it seems, so when I let the fish back, it slipped right under the rim of the net. The spoon snagged the net, and there rest is a sad fish story. It seems they should make a net that will hold its shape gaping wide Open, even when the current (from foward motion) is pushing it. I never had so much trouble as we did today. Of course, we will be going back to the head first method, but the problem of the wadded up net still is present. I wonder if others have this issue, and if you have any advice or ideas. Tough to lose nice fish at the boat.

I tape a pinch pad release to the net handle far enough up the handle to hold the net tight to the handle. When you net the fish it will let go of the net. I fish solo a lot and this will keep the net under control less drag without the netting in the water.

2 hours ago, jakebrown said:

I tape a pinch pad release to the net handle far enough up the handle to hold the net tight to the handle. When you net the fish it will let go of the net. I fish solo a lot and this will keep the net under control less drag without the netting in the water.

X2 what jake said, works great!

One of the first things I ever learned about netting a fish is that you net them from behind and under them NOT from the front. A few reasons for it: you can disengage the hook in their mouth with the net, often they see the net and are spooked, and it helps to try and get them a little toward the side of the boat if possible for better leverage.

Edited by Sk8man

3 hours ago, jakebrown said:

47 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

One of the first things I ever learned about netting a fish is that you net them from behind and under them NOT from the front. A few reasons for it: you can disengage the hook in their mouth with the net, often they see the net and are spooked, and it helps to try and get them a little toward the side of the boat if possible for better leverage.

Thanks I would also like to see the pinch pad gizmo. Also, Sk8man, I always thought you were supposed to net them from the head first....maybe my buddy is onto something, but needs to improve his aim!.

Net your fish head first. I hold the back portion of the handle with my right hand and support the handle where the handle meets the hoop with my left hand..... also holding the net basket with my left hand. You hold the basket tight so that it's not flopping around in the flowing water. When the time is right, let go of the basket as you slide the net handle through your left hand (powered by your right) to capture the fish. Mission accomplished. The only time it fails is when you get impatient and try to net the fish "early". then all bets are off..... The pinchpad pretty much takes the place of manually holding the net basket, and keeps the basket tight and out of the way.

Try a blacks release taped to the pole. Many fish are lost cause they weren't ready or rushed. Hoop down through at the head. Many times and I have done it my self of not going down deep enough with the hoop. Keeping it shallow is when the hook is going to get caught. Ugg. What a bad feeling no doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Net your fish head first. I hold the back portion of the handle with my right hand and support the handle where the handle meets the hoop with my left hand..... also holding the net basket with my left hand. You hold the basket tight so that it's not flopping around in the flowing water. When the time is right, let go of the basket as you slide the net handle through your left hand (powered by your right) to capture the fish. Mission accomplished. The only time it fails is when you get impatient and try to net the fish "early". then all bets are off..... The pinchpad pretty much takes the place of manually holding the net basket, and keeps the basket tight and out of the way.

Head first x 2

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The netting should be same action as shoveling snow. Quick entry into water , scoop, and raise back out of water. Do not put net in water until you are ready to scoop or you blow back the netting.  The rod man in my opinion has more to do with netting than the netman. Rodman stays at back of boat til fish nose comes to surface just behind boat. At that point hold tip hi and walk directly  behind netman and guide fish in net. 

The pinch pad works great but if you have rubber net it can tear webbing. Other option is paracord tied to deepest part of basket and ties to handle at opposite end. Pull rope tight when grasping shaft to keep netting from dangling. As soon as fish enters basket let go of cord

Head first, and scoops down at a 45* or higher angle. Make sure to "plunge down" and get net deep enough. The water and boat moving will raise the net automatically to the surface. A lot of fish are lost because the net isn't deep enough and people try to slide the net under the fish and that's when the hooks get tangled. It should be one fast motion:

Fish Head first

Net Steep angle

Plunge down

And lift up

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Wow...I guess it proves the old addage "There is more than one way to skin a cat". :lol: Thousands of fish later and I don't remember ever losing one right at at the net that way...

Ok, well I am going to ty wrap a pinch pad on, and hope for the best, and we will only net head first, as we have always done. The tail first, and letting the fish slide back into the net, has not been successful. Thanks for all the tips.

11 hours ago, Traveling Circus said:

This has worked for me for 30 plus years both on the lake and in the river.