Netting Techniques- lost 3 today -bad technique

Lots of good info here. I'm in the market for a new net. What do most of you use? I fish the fingers mostly and make occasional trips to Lake O.

Biggest thing you can afford! Ranger is reasonable. Mine is a 36 inch I think......I wish it was 48 LOL.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I always hold the netting in my hand on the shafts and only let go once the basket is below the fish and at least half the fish crosses the rim of the net. 

Alternatively there are net clipping mechanisms that release under the wight of the fish once it is in the net. 

18 hours ago, on the lam said:

Ive never seen or heard of anyone intentionally netting a king from behind? Reason being is when they feel the net they usually explode and could swim out? If your talking 3 lb. FLX lakers maybe it doesnt matter.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I won't get into it .....but it works well....many many kings that wayand yet I've seen some lost the other way because of the net hitting the line and knocking the hook out of the mouth.

Keep boat in gear; get fish along side the boat; net the fish headfirst.  Do not just hold the net stationary.  It should be moving toward the fish and the center of it slightly below the fish.  Some say that spooks the fish...to which I say...the fish won't swim backwards to avoid the net, rather he's going to give it a burst of speed and try to go deep...hence right into your net.

Did you know that you can "tail" a king?  Get him tired enough, right along side of the boat, reach over and grab him in front of his tail.  Kings can't collapse their tails.  Handy to know if you break, lose or forget you net. (been there...done that)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

here is one i like to do when the king comes a long side of the boat, the driver slows down and the king will start to go faster then the boat  and will move away from the side of the boat . the rod man reels down the driver speeds up the net guy is in the back corner and the king will comes to him . so it can be netted from behind . all in the timing .. 

I really think the downrigger clip taped to the handle is going to help alot. Can't wait to try it. It seems what has been losing us some fish is the hook becomes snagged in the net, the fish turns its head, and out pops the hook. That along with improper net position. 

On 7/22/2017 at 9:28 AM, tangledline said:

Lots of good info here. I'm in the market for a new net. What do most of you use? I fish the fingers mostly and make occasional trips to Lake O.

I just bought one with rubber netting and a push button too extend it   , works good..... Little $$$ but better for releasing them back in.....

I tried from behind but it was a complete failure for me. Had the fins catch the netting like a barb and stop it, scare the fish and have him swim out. . Net from the head. Wait till its ready, If its on its side, slide net under til most is in/under net and lift. If green and you want to take a chance, dip net in front and let him swim into it or try the scoop method, which is risky but fun. 

5 hours ago, John E Powell said:

Net fish from head.

No clip holding bag as this closes the bag opening. A closed tight bag makes contact with fish a split-second sooner than an open bag. Clipped bags touch the fish sooner (when the fish isn't really deep in the net yet) causing a reactive response from the fish sooner than an open bag. Bad idea. A clip sounds like a good idea, but it actually complicates things and is really just a crutch to attempt to compensate for a poor netting technique.

Instead, learn to manage the open bag correctly. Keep it out of the water, when fish is tired and on its side the rod pressure will bend the fish's body slightly and lift the head. This is when it's time to bring the fish close for netting. When a fish is still hot and swimming upright, you can't lift just the head, the fish doesn't bend that way and they resist the lifting by swimming and thrashing. If you brought a big fish to boat too quickly you might want to let it tire some more in the boat wake behind your other lines before bringing it to net.

Reel the rod tip down as low as possible and then lift and walk away from the fish and the netter dips the net deep into the water and pushes the net backwards away from the boat and scoops the fish into the center of the net opening. Then lift up. You have to dip ahead of the fish and push back to keep the bag fully open and this avoids the hooks getting prematurely fouled in the bag.

The last step on a big fish.. grab ahold of the net hoop with both hands and lift the hoop with the handle pointing straight up in the air. Don't lift a big fish into the boat by the net handle. Net hoops can, and have, slipped off handles. The springs that holds the handle buttons don't always have the strength to hold a thrashing 30 lb. salmon. Sometimes the thrashing and weight of the fish will collapse the buttons. I've seen, and have heard of, net hoops separating from handles. Sometimes the fish were lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

The trouble with no clip, which is how we have been doing it (did not know about the clip) is that the minute the net hits the water, the current, from 2.7 MPH forward trolling motion, wads the net up and right into a ball. Can't stop the motor as that creates a huge tangled mess of everything.   I will try the clip, as it seems the minute something hits it, the clip releases, and the nets falls down.

When you net them from the back and under the netting is extended backward  and if the fish turns... hes in the net and he doesn't see the net coming from behind to get spooked by it.The netting doesn't float on top of the water as easily as when you net from the front. I know I'm outnumbered here on this but regardless of the opinions exxpressed....it works well. This is the way the old timers did it so it can't be as bad as folks may seem to think. Just the net and no extra stuff needed :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

All this silly discussion would be irrelevant if NYDEC would get rid of their stupid "no gaff" law!![emoji849]

Absolutely! When I fished the gulf of Mexico, we gaffed them. No problems.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

All this silly discussion would be irrelevant if NYDEC would get rid of their stupid "no gaff" law!![emoji849]
That would be soooooo fun!

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

I hold the netting material against the shaft of the net with my finger . It keeps the net from spooking the fish and the net from fouling the hooks . I have used this system for years and it works for me . A gaff is great if you plan on keeping the fish , Not so much for catch and release . I have a nice gaff I use for ice fishing . Would like to see the law amended for use while salmon fishing on Lake O .

Imagine how much time is spent untangling fly hooks from net mesh. Imagine how many hooks get impaled into hands while trying to untangle a pissed off fish from a big bulky net.
When I fished salmon in Lake Erie in the early 80's a net was only used for the occasional walleye or smallmouth. All cohos and kings were gaffed! Wake up NY!! [emoji35]