Netting Techniques- lost 3 today -bad technique

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 10:34 PM, Paul Czarnecki said:

All this silly discussion would be irrelevant if NYDEC would get rid of their stupid "no gaff" law!!emoji849.png

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

As a taxidermist, wouldn't that make more work for you?  Patching holes can't be fun! 

Today we used the clip for the first time. Worked great, head first. But my partner just needs to get the net into the water about halfway so I slide the fish in! Lost two today because he did not get the net into the water and the fish slid under.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Today we used the clip for the first time. Worked great, head first. But my partner just needs to get the net into the water about halfway so I slide the fish in! Lost two today because he did not get the net into the water and the fish slid under.

Sounds like you need a new partner or someone to give you both lessons. 🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Net guy and rod guy have to talk and work together as often the rod guy can't see what is going on. When I net I make sure the fish is close enough so I can get under it as I quickly stab the net into the water and then lift.. mistakes happen when the fish is too far away and the far edge of the basket does not make it to the other end of the fish..
Paul might be on to something as well! Lol
Good luck.... I don't use a clip to hold the basket tho it can help.

Stab, lift. Should take a half a second. pull net towards you to close bag. Lift handle up and grab net hoop  to help support weight. Never lift fish with handle horizontal. It will bend the handle.  I would never slow the boat down unless you are getting spooled. Forward momentum helps keep the fish in control ( Some what) You can not second guess yourself. Wait for the right moment and commit. Practice this with any type of fish you go for even small fish. It will become second nature after you net a few thousand fish:lol:  Wes 

Edited by quality time
misspelled word

He'll get the hang of it. He's a great partner. Just he is over 70 and he has bad knees. Makes it harder for him. He knows now that he has got to get the net down into the water when I'm skidding the fish along the surface. Not sure why he's having trouble this year, last year he did fine.

We use a heavy rubber band to hold the net back. I am strongly against having anything hard mounted to the net, as I once had a nice king pop back out because the basket couldn't expand when we went to pull it out of the water- the net got caught on it. The more hardware you have, the more chance for error.

Netting is all about technique. That net shouldn't touch the water until the fish is calm and ready to net... if he's going nuts, he's not ready to net. I go in at a 45 degree angle, head first, and quickly in a downward motion to go under the fish. I either hold the excess net with my finger, or use a medium sized rubber band.

We use a heavy rubber band to hold the net back. I am strongly against having anything hard mounted to the net, as I once had a nice king pop back out because the basket couldn't expand when we went to pull it out of the water- the net got caught on it. The more hardware you have, the more chance for error.

Netting is all about technique. That net shouldn't touch the water until the fish is calm and ready to net... if he's going nuts, he's not ready to net. I go in at a 45 degree angle, head first, and quickly in a downward motion to go under the fish. I either hold the excess net with my finger, or use a medium sized rubber band.

X2.
I never put net in the water early. Always wait for that right moment then quickly dart it under the fish, and of course ALWAYS head first.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

Different boat freeboard height will change the way you net as will the size of the fish and how much gas he has in the tank. But a big part is proper pole work and every charter captain knows exactly what I'm talking about. Keep the line angle steep when netting and magically many of those issues will go away.