Atlantic Fish ID

Atlantic Fish ID

I seem to be having difficulty identifying atlantics over cohos. I've read tons of charts. No spots on tail, location of the eye vs the mouth but I'm seeing discrepancies in the descriptions. 

Can anyone one offer a quick method so an effective release can be made in a reasonable time?

thanks in advance. 

Distinguishing features of Atlantic salmon are the short face of the fish and the length of the mouth. Atlantics have a smaller mouth than do brown trout

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Coho vs Atlantic. 

Coho has a black tongue and grey gums

Atlantics tongue is light colored

Coho has spots on upper lobe of.tail

Atlantic.does not have spots on tail

Coho has more rays in the anal fin >12-15 and  Atlantic  has 9-10

Browns also have 9-10 rays but they have a square tail vs Atlantic slightly forked. Browns have thick caudal peduncle, and 2 rows of teeth on the roof of mouth vs Atlantic have one.

Steelhead have horizontal rows of small spots on both lobes of tail and a white mouth. 

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 5:17 PM, shadster said:

The caudal before the tail is thinner on the Atlantic

Black spots on the gill plates on the Atlantic

X shaped spots on the Atlantic

My friend Mary with a beautiful Atlantic

mary.jpg

Thanks, that photo is awesome and it definitely helps.

1 hour ago, Twister said:

Also, the jaw stops in front of their eyes and a Coho is behind the eyes

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I wonder if this is 100% of the time?? The reason I ask, I have charts that are confusing because they are not definitive on the mouth to eye location. If this is 100%, it makes them pretty identifiable quick. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

20 hours ago, Kingme2Go said:

Coho vs Atlantic. 

Coho has a black tongue and grey gums

Atlantics tongue is light colored

Coho has spots on upper lobe of.tail

Atlantic.does not have spots on tail

Coho has more rays in the anal fin >12-15 and  Atlantic  has 9-10

Browns also have 9-10 rays but they have a square tail vs Atlantic slightly forked. Browns have thick caudal peduncle, and 2 rows of teeth on the roof of mouth vs Atlantic have one.

Steelhead have horizontal rows of small spots on both lobes of tail and a white mouth. 

Great info.. Thank you for that..big help...

A coho will have a white mouth and more colors of the rainbow above the lateral line. They can look like dark steelhead at times. The Atlantic is more brownish in color. Kings are dark green to black.

When I caught this Atlantic I pretty much knew what it was, but another fisherman back at Wright's Landing in Oswego insisted it was a brown trout. He had a big rig all decked out and I thought well maybe he's right. It looked like he's been around awhile. I  still had my doubts about it being a brown though. To be sure I wasn't losing it I went to Fat Nancy's who had a shop in town at the time. When my friend Captain Andy Bliss took one look at the fish in the well he knew right away. My first thoughts were definitely confirmed.

Edited by shadster

10 minutes ago, shadster said:

A coho will have a white mouth and more colors of the rainbow above the lateral line. They can look like dark steelhead at times. The Atlantic is more brownish in color. Kings are dark green to black.

When I caught this Atlantic I pretty much knew what it was, but another fisherman back at Wright's Landing in Oswego insisted it was a brown trout. He had a big rig all decked out and I thought well maybe he's right. It looked like he's been around awhile. I  still had my doubts about it being a brown though. To be sure I wasn't losing it I went to Fat Nancy's who had a shop in town at the time. When my friend Captain Andy Bliss took one look at the fish in the well he knew right away. My first thoughts were definitely confirmed.

Thanks, that eye location is glaring to me compared to the coho. Plus the spots on the gill plate.

I wonder if this is 100% of the time?? The reason I ask, I have charts that are confusing because they are not definitive on the mouth to eye location. If this is 100%, it makes them pretty identifiable quick. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

From the people that I have talked with and that I consider very knowledgeable about it, this is true 100% of the time. But, I'm always learning and this wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app