My first giant tuna

I fished yesterday with my friend Leo on his 35 Duffy.

Left his dock in green harbor ma around 5:30 yesterday morning.

Went to the SW corner to get our live mackerel and found plenty of bait. After 20 minutes we had a few dozen.

There was a large fleet in this area fishing for tuna so we decided to motor further North down the bank.

We found some life with birds and whales, so we set up., 15 minutes later we were on.

Ended up being a 3 hour fight. This fish had 6 solid runs and stayed on the bottom.

Great day for sure. IMG_0825.JPGIMG_0834.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Very nice! But.... what happened to it's head in the second pic?[emoji20] Kinda gross looking. Sweet snag anyhow! :yes:

If you look the head is still attached- gill covers are cut/sawed off and the entrails are removed through there after cutting the intestines free through the anus,then you can pack the empty cavity with ice to cool it down and keep the meat perfect. I've never done it but I will one day. Have read up a lot on tuna for when that day finally happens

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Battlehammer is absolutely correct about sawing off the gill plate, removing all interior and pack with ice.....yes we had to use a saw!

We had 400 pounds of ice on the boat.

After packing with ice we put it in a huge insulated bag, covered the tuna with ice, zipped it up and headed for the dock.

Going for yellow fin tuna and mahi in a few weeks.....hopefully we will get a few.

great job you are hooked now i no all to well as i still miss fishing for giant tuna .I lived in nh and fished for a few years from there and once we went out of green harbor mass and releized very quickly it was the place to be its full of life there . Try snapper blues off kites and troll fresh machs behind islander lures they work great and they will keep you out of the dog fish .