What might be wrong with this walleye

Kevin J Legg

Caught a couple this morning on the SLR but had to really work for them. When I went to fillet them I notice the the larger one (around 24") was very thin and loins were actually sunken in. The stomach didn't appear to have any obstruction and it had a layer of fat inside. Internal organs appeared normal but there was virtually little meat on the fish. Not sure how well it shows in the photo. Any ideas?

Decided to burry it in the garden as there was very little white meat after I attempted to fillet it and it looked anorexic.IMG_4027.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I hope it is not that muscle dissolving parasite they found in Minnesota. 

Seems to be candidate fish for an autopsy.

Wow I never heard of this fish muscle parasite but after some research I dug up the fish and rinsed off the dirt and put it in the freezer. I'll be contacting Cape Vincent fishery research center and see if they are interested in looking at it. Sure hope it's not this. Thanks for your insite BSmaster!

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Talked to Steve LaPan at Cape Vincent fisheries research. He said they would be netting next week and keep an eye out for similar fish. He told me to keep the frozen fish just in case they wanted to look at it but likely wouldn't think it is an issue in a single fish. He also said if anyone catches another similar fish to put it on ice and call him. Evidently bacteria and some virus can't be detected in frozen fish.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

• 3 weeks later...

The silver lining in this is that this is, at least so far, a very rare occurrence. We fish here 3 to 5 times a week, catch numerous fish of all sizes and, because we keep logs, can say it has shown up in less than a half of a percent of the fish taken.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be a concern, but I sure wouldn't let it keep me home if you're planning a trip!

I caught a fish with this condition last season. Did not know what it was at the time. The walleye had actually been recently attacked by a larger predator fish and i thought at the time the discoloration was related, ie) trauma. It was most likely sandy flesh disease based on pictures and description.

That was the only walleye I have caught with this condition... to the best of my recollection.

I wonder how long it has been effecting fish on the SLR?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United