Fishfinder- Newer Thread

Might spring for the extra buck. Can you use it for jigging too? I do mostly trolling but now and then I like to try something new. Torn between a fish finder or a down rigger... Kids yanked the wires out my old Apelco. Worked good even being old. I think the ff needs to come before a rigger. Been pulling dipseys... Gets real old cranking in 250+ of line

Sent from my VS425PP using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I also like the Lowrance units, I've had several of the entry level models and felt like they performed well and were reliable.  I think the addition of the chirp sonar on most lesser expensive units has really improved the ability to see fish hugging the bottom which is good for jigging.  They have all seemed to do a good job tracking jigs and fish on the drop and retrieve as well.

that being said, we just upgraded to a Raymarine dragonfly 7 pro which I really like. The ability to mirror the screen on an iPad or other tablet is awesome when we have several people jigging in the boat.  The 4 and 5 inch "pro" models also have this capability.

1 hour ago, chugbug said:

when you say you can mirror the screen do you mean your seeing the same screen on the depth finder  so not actually seeing your jig but seeing who ever is vertical over the transducer

The unit transmits the sonar data to other devices via wifi.  When multiple people are jigging you will see each jig fall to the bottom as it is lowered, if 2 people are fishing and are dropping jigs, you see two lines... 3 jigs = 3lines etc. Whoever is closest to the transducer does show up as a heavier, more prounounced line but given the size of of the cone, any jig in our 20' boat will show up on the screen.  

Another nice feature of the unit is being able to view different data on each device, you can have your maps on main screen and down scan or traditional sonar on the other.  

Thats interesting the wi fi to all devices etc. , I'm still using the lowrance x135 and x125 both great units plenty of power for seeing your jig , have one mounted on the trolling motor that I use most of the time to stay vertical and have the other one on the transom , always wanted the capability for the other person in the boat to be able to use the transom mounted unit to see there own jig and have the advantage of seeing whats going on down there instead of jigging bind but the two transducers cross each other with the depth were jigging at  and interfere , once the two cones from each transducers touch each other you get all kinds of double images and interference , I always wondered if I could get a different transducer with a different frequency so they wouldnt interfere , anyone have any info on this problem   

The hook 5x is definitely a nice unit for the money, like alex1young said, you have to get the sonar/gps combo if you want gps speed which costs a little more.  In my opinion the maps/gps functionality is not great on the smaller screens like this.  It's very hard to see what's going on in split screen mode.  If you just want to monitor your speed I've used several different free gps speed apps on my Phone which are simple and work great.

3 hours ago, chugbug said:

Thats interesting the wi fi to all devices etc. , I'm still using the lowrance x135 and x125 both great units plenty of power for seeing your jig , have one mounted on the trolling motor that I use most of the time to stay vertical and have the other one on the transom , always wanted the capability for the other person in the boat to be able to use the transom mounted unit to see there own jig and have the advantage of seeing whats going on down there instead of jigging bind but the two transducers cross each other with the depth were jigging at  and interfere , once the two cones from each transducers touch each other you get all kinds of double images and interference , I always wondered if I could get a different transducer with a different frequency so they wouldnt interfere , anyone have any info on this problem   

On my lowrance I can change frequencies in the sonar menu, I have had luck running two units simultaneously one on 200khz and one on 83khz.  There is still a little noise from interference but not bad.  I had even better luck running a Garmin and a Lowrance simultaneously again on different frequencies, this resulted in almost no interference at all.

21 hours ago, FishingTheFL said:

Might spring for the extra buck. Can you use it for jigging too? I do mostly trolling but now and then I like to try something new. Torn between a fish finder or a down rigger... Kids yanked the wires out my old Apelco. Worked good even being old. I think the ff needs to come before a rigger. Been pulling dipseys... Gets real old cranking in 250+ of line

Used Downriggers can be found fairly easily. Get both.

8 hours ago, FishingTheFL said:

Was looking at Lowrance Hook 5x Mid/High/DownScan. Anyone use it before? Price on ebay jumps around a bit...

I have a Lowrance elite 4x Chirp. Now renamed the Hook 4. I saw one in Texas while I was there for work for $150 on sale. That would be a good deal. Although the unit seems to work well, for reasons hard to explain, I would buy a Hummingbird or Garmin next time.