Fleas in Oswego

Before today, I haven't been out since Sunday and I've heard fleas haven't been too bad this week. Based on what I dealt with today, that was an understatement.  30 lb Big Game mono was loaded on the rigger lines in 20 minutes - had to have my mate scrape fleas while reeling in fish and had to partially hand-line one fish in, and the wire dipsey lines?  Holy cow, loaded in less than a half hour.  BTW, spent most of the day around 450' and an hour or so around 120'.  Thinking of respooling with 40 pb mono or 30 lb flea flicker. Has anyone had success with either of these?

30 lb sea flee not working as well as in the past with these fleas. Appears to be the more stickier type this year. Wires and sea flee both had a lot of fleas inside 200 ft yesterday. When we were out in anything more than 400 ft they were minimal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

i fished wednesday ,saturday ,sunday , in sodus from 120 to 550 fow  had very little fleas and would shake off the rod tip when did get a little of them . maybe the water currents push the fleas to oz . 

My hunch is the Sea Flee line depends on the slick coating on it for the anti flea action and after awhile the used portion of the line seems less slick. I'm wondering if running the line off the reel and putting it back on backwards (used part first) might help? A PIA  I know but... Just a thought.

The fleas were present up by Stony Point last week .They seem to be bigger this year ,which may account for the ability to hang on to 30 lb test line . I found a picture of the little B----'s  Not very pretty are they ?

F7a-Bythotrephes-longimanus.jpg

The fleas were present up by Stony Point last week .They seem to be bigger this year ,which may account for the ability to hang on to 30 lb test line . I found a picture of the little B----'s  Not very pretty are they ?
F7a-Bythotrephes-longimanus.thumb.jpg.ec87876b1801a1e475f861983cddeb8f.jpg

When it looks like that big, maybe it would go on a hook as bait!..hate em!

Money doesn't buy happiness,
but it does buy horsepower....
I've never seen a sad person in a boat haulin' A$$...!

2 hours ago, Sk8man said:

There are a few different types of fleas and some are not as bad as other to get off the lines.

I agree. A few weeks ago they were much easier to get off. Now it's a real B..... I think it's a different species.

I thank god every day (lol) for the 2500 yard spool of 30# flea flicker I picked up before it went off the market.   They were coming in heavy on my wire this weekend after 30 min but ZERO on any flea flicker line for as long as it was down there

Edited by Fat Trout

Fished Fair Haven this Saturday, most of the action was in 180 to 200 for us. Fleas not bad at all. The Red (Sockeye) salmon in the pacific northwest are filter feeders. I wonder if they would eat these spinney water fleas. If so it may decrease the number of fleas and give us a great eating addition to the fishery.

Perch eat fleas.  I read somewhere that NYSDEC studies have shown that some lakes with a lot of perch that picked up fleas actually had the fleas disappear after a couple of seasons.  If those Sockeyes are filter feeders are they still caught with regular tackle?

One of the things to keep in mind about the fish eating of the fleas such as the fishhook variety is that they get caught in parts of the fish or baitfish's anatomy causing injury or death.

Edited by Sk8man

This thread got my interest going. I reached the DEC and got some info on these critters. There are two species in Lake O. The spiny waterflea and the fishhhook waterflea. The spiny is the bigger of the two , reaching over 1/2 inch in length The black spot is their single eye. They can reproduce asexually. Which is a good thing considering how ugly they are. A few in any body of water can become a huge population very quickly and they are here to stay

Also , the spiny migrate to deeper , colder water during the day and return to the surface at night to feed. The fishhook stay near the surface always

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

10 hours ago, salmonaddict said:

I am running 30# blood run it is much better than most

Me too but it didn't work last weekend. It always worked prior to last weekend. Maybe Skate has a point about the slickness wearing off...or just maybe it's that stickier species.

8 hours ago, chinook35 said:

This thread got my interest going. I reached the DEC and got some info on these critters. There are two species in Lake O. The spiny waterflea and the fishhhook waterflea. The spiny is the bigger of the two , reaching over 1/2 inch in length The black spot is their single eye. They can reproduce asexually. Which is a good thing considering how ugly they are. A few in any body of water can become a huge population very quickly and they are here to stay

Also , the spiny migrate to deeper , colder water during the day and return to the surface at night to feed. The fishhook stay near the surface always

Chinook. Which species is more difficult to remove from your line?

Chinook. Which species is more difficult to remove from your line?

I noticed that the fleas I was picking up last week were bigger than usual so I would guess that they were the spiny b----'s They stuck like glue and it took several slaps on the water to dislodge them. They also smell very bad and were all over the boat from flying off the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have had them under my biological binocular and found out that most of the black spots that some people claim to be eyes, are in fact clones that grow in the backside of the fleas. Under ideal circumstances you will find even 2 or 3 on each flea. When fishing last week the fleas I saw had a lot of black spots. I think that we're about to have a flea population explosion.