the oak

anybody know if it flipped?

It started to. Cold water moved into the inside over night so almost everyone that fished this morning fished offshore. Fishing was very good!
By midafternoon the bait had already moved back in and I'm sure the salmon were headed there as well.
The big north wind tonight and tomorrow may tighten that inside up or possibly blow it apart. The offshore fishery is very good if there's nothing inside 180.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The understanding of the mid summer thermocline movements is a necessity of your fishing success. Warm surface waters flow with the wind and cold thermocline waters replace them. But the thermocline waters at this time of are dissolved oxygen deprived. The blue clear water is not where the fish are. They travel with the green algae colored water where the forage fish are. Just look for the green water now in the warm water conditions. The thermocline is like a fence and the mixing of the different temperatures stops. The warm surface water is enriched with oxygen by the whitecaps at this time of year. In inland lakes the thermocline may be as high as twenty eight feet and fishing deeper is useless. Many fish now run to marinas or weed beds to escape the sun.

Sent from my iPhoness using Lake Ontario United

Thanks for the info guys. I just hope the fishing remains good this year. Last year after the lake flipped the fishing was terrible and it never rebounded. 

It flipped two weeks ago and the fishing remained spectacular. Don't dwell on the past. It is what it is---this year IT is incredible!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

1 hour ago, jimski2 said:

The understanding of the mid summer thermocline movements is a necessity of your fishing success. Warm surface waters flow with the wind and cold thermocline waters replace them. But the thermocline waters at this time of are dissolved oxygen deprived. The blue clear water is not where the fish are. They travel with the green algae colored water where the forage fish are. Just look for the green water now in the warm water conditions. The thermocline is like a fence and the mixing of the different temperatures stops. The warm surface water is enriched with oxygen by the whitecaps at this time of year. In inland lakes the thermocline may be as high as twenty eight feet and fishing deeper is useless. Many fish now run to marinas or weed beds to escape the sun.

Sent from my iPhoness using Lake Ontario United

Very well put!   However there can be oxygen in the thermocline. especially toward the top of it, but it will get lower in oxygen concentration as the summer progresses.  In  eutrophic waters like Irondequoit Bay the thermocline will be devoid of oxygen, but in oligotrophic lakes like Seneca, it could stay above 5 ppm O2 all summer.   According to Sanders guide, lakes like Hemlock and Canadice will maintain O2 in the thermocline all summer but the hypolimnion will be anoxic, and the epilimnion will be too warm, so the fish are in a narrow band of the thermocline.