Fishing with boy

I thought they changed it a few years back. It is no longer the number of poles. It is the number of hook points I thought. So 3 poles was legal if you had under the limit of points. I'll have to look it up to get the right number of hook points.

Found it, no more than 3 poles or 15 hook points.

Angling

Angling means taking fish by hook and line. This includes bait and fly fishing, casting, trolling and the use of landing nets to complete the catch.

• Anglers must be in immediate attendance when their lines are in the water.
  • An angler may operate no more than three lines with or without a rod.
    • each line is limited to not more than five lures or baits or a combination of both.
    • in addition, each line shall not exceed 15 hook points in any combination of single, double or treble hooks.
  • Snatching, lifting, hooking and use of tip-ups are not angling.

This is copied from the Dec site.

Methods of
Taking Fish
Angling
Angling means taking fish by hook and line. This
includes bait and fly fishing, casting, trolling and
the use of landing nets to complete the catch.
• Anglers must be in immediate attendance
when their lines are in the water.
• An angler may operate no more than three
lines with or without a rod.
» each line is limited to not more than five
lures or baits or a combination of both.
» in addition, each line shall not exceed 15
hook points in any combination of single,
double or treble hooks.
• Snatching, lifting, hooking and use of tip-ups

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

When my kids were young I had a 13 ft Boston Whaler which had a custom dodger at the front of it for shelter and protection. I took my kids on the Finger Lakes at about age 5 (only one at a time) and ran 4 lines which was the max 2 per person at the time and even 4 Seth Greens  often times. I made sure the kids brought along books, dolls, snacks and GI Joe men to play with and they always had life jackets on and I had a bunch of cushions up front that they could nap on if they wanted to. I also didn't fish for the long hours  that I would normally fish by myself or with another adult. My son used a pee can but with my daughters I always trolled near where I could head for a bathroom if necessary and I mentioned to them about drinking excessive liquids and to take it easy on them. Only my son accompanied me to Lake O where the availability of bathrooms was not a practicality in most places. My son is still my fishing partner so I guess I didn't screw up too badly :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

I have a 4 year old also and wondered if I  could run 3 more rods with her in the boat. I was told that she would have to show that she was able to handle a rod herself for her to count by a few people.  I have not found a dec officer to ask if its true or not.