Stacker on downrigger

I'm not sure how you rigged your free sliders but we often account for about half our fish on them.I used to stack rods but I think they are more inconvenient to mess with than sliders.  Folks use various lengths but I generally rig mine 6-8 ft long and I lower my first line about15 or 20 ft before attaching the slider.

Edited by Sk8man

I used both fixed and free sliders with some other members here. Can be very productive. The fixed ones were the clips with the rubber slit in them that he put on 20 foot above the ball lure and the free sliders went on after achieved depth on ball thrown off back of boat. I now try both when fishing is slower

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

On 7/26/2017 at 2:10 PM, kingofthewater said:

Coming over next weekend and only have 2 riggers on our boat. Anyone fish with stack clips to get additional rigger rods in the water? I've tried free sliders before without success. Any advice is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Used to use but can be a pain.   I know kings are "supposed" to run deep after getting hooked but in my experience if the fish takes the bottom line at the ball 30% of the time I am landing the fish and the tangled line from the other stacked rod.  I prefer boards with leadcore or copper

Used to use but can be a pain.   I know kings are "supposed" to run deep after getting hooked but in my experience if the fish takes the bottom line at the ball 30% of the time I am landing the fish and the tangled line from the other stacked rod.  I prefer boards with leadcore or copper

I prefer them as well but I'm not dropping the cash at this time lol

I'm not sure how you rigged your free sliders but we often account for about half our fish on them.I used to stack rods but I think they are more inconvenient to mess with than sliders.  Folks use various lengths but I generally rig mine 6-8 ft long and I lower my first line about15 or 20 ft before attaching the slider.

So you put a swivel on main line, 6-8 feet of line, then the lure? Does it matter lure or can you run any setup on the free? Willing to give it a better try.

Short section of fluoro (6-8 ft long) solid ring ball bearing swivel at each end of it. Lower your main line and lure about 15 or 20 ft and then hook the empty end swivel to the main line and fasten and let it slide downthen let down while carefully lowering the downrigger weight to where you want the main lure to be. The slider will usually ride up or down and locate itself in the belly of the line above the main lure. usually works best with lightweight spoons and not usually stickbaits because of the tangle potential.

Edited by Sk8man