Stony point launch

Met a guy this morning at the launch, directed me here for help ... 

I am new to this and having a heck of a time getting it figured out .  Wanna go catch bass, walleye. Northerns, perch... no problem!!  

Think I can figure out down riggers ??? Absolutely not ! 

Launched out of stony point about 6 or so. Stayed out until 2 . Zero action . Trolled Along waters in front of lighthouse 110-120ft. Marked fish all over . Tried different depths, lures, boucing bottom ... cowbells , plugs, spoons, flasher /flies ..: nothing ..  

keep hearing talk of "shipping lanes"... all I know is general area between islands galoo and duck .. shot out there , little rough but bearable in the old boat . Thought I was there but looking back I don't think I went far enough north ? . 

I am trying to figure out exactly where all these spots are that I hear talk of. 

Either way, had 4-6 poles in the water almost all day with no action. I'm sure it's just me and my location . 

Decided one of my rigger weights needed to stay at the bottom of

the lake. - ah well. Thats learning. 

I wasn't really targeting anything . I'd be happy with lakers .. 

any great advice ? Guess I'm looking for a cheat sheet !! On where these areas are. 

I was in your boat a few seasons ago when I started (no pun intended ) I learned a ton from right here and talking to charter captains and more experienced people offline. There are tons of resources available. Low and behold my catch rate has improved significantly. There are a lot of factors to consider depth, speed , lure choice and color and how to fish them. I suggest you read this site thoroughly, ask questions, most people are very helpful, than before you go out,  plan your trip , and fish it! 

Good luck 

We were at Stony this AM left the dock at 5 AM it was a tough bite today. I think the super cold day on Tuesday drove them deep. We landed 3 lakers early. But there were far fewer marks than last week. Tons of bait pods with very few marks around them If I had it to do over. I would have gone down to Mexico and gone out deep. We stayed on the water till 3 and threw everything at them. They just weren't there stay with it. The learning curve is steep but you'll catch on.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

You had the Penn Yan this morning? Same riggers as me? Good to see you found this site! There's truly a wealth of info here and great, experienced people that'll share. Ask questions and read discussions.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

3 hours ago, hard knox said:

I have a open seat monday most likely out of Oswego if your interested in speeding up the learning curve .

Wow that's very generous. I would love to get some hands on with experienced hands. Unfortunately I do have to work Monday .  I took today - sat off since the weather looked good. And I have wed-sat off next week . 

Its discouraging not producing, and hearing of everyone catching ! Makes me (rightfully) question what I'm doing.

I do have a good time regardless out on the lake. I'm from an hour north of Watertown and I'm used to fishing the st. Lawrence, black lake, and other local waters.. 

I get out on Ontario and it's like a whole new world, what a riot ! Nothing like Surfing the waves.

Yes this morning I had the penn yan with the pen riggers. Hillbilly from the far north trying to learn the craft!  

Kept looking like it was going to get nasty out , but out past galloo island by shipping lanes about 17 miles from launch .. the water was nice once got out there.

IMG_1464.JPG

IMG_1465.JPG

Here's a pic of a noaa map. General areas you may have heard of...
IMG_6628.PNG
We were out past the finger. Over 150 fow, manage 2 lakers off spoon down 115 on rigger counter, lost one trying to steer it away from the kicker and 1 king on a 450 copper with a spoon.

- GBL

Puffer II: 1802 Trophy
Green Boat: 1966 Starcraft Mariner-V 14

Thanks for that map . Really clears stuff up . I was way off base !! I still have a lot to learn about reading my gps. 

When you say on spoons are you running just a plain spoon? No attractors? I have a few SS spoons in different colors but did not give plain spoons much of a chance , perhaps I should have . 

Thinking of going out again this evening . Or perhaps wait until Saturday.

Yep, just a clean spoon. The one that took the lakers was 10ish feet off the ball. Took the king on the one on the bottom... Moonshine lure, Carbon 14. The 2 on the bottom are Magnum size, the other is a regular Michigan Stinger, both sizes will work, choose whatever colors you like (these are 3 of my personal favs), I tend to run mag spoons, but will change it up. Hope this helps!

IMG_6632.thumb.JPG.0971beb92b0dc9395bdb5865c8b874cb.JPGIMG_6633.thumb.JPG.6bfb416b96bb223d991c82897055010f.JPG

- GBL

Puffer II: 1802 Trophy

Green Boat: 1966 Starcraft Mariner-V 14

If you go on Navionics web sit look up their fishing hot spots map that will give you a good idea you can blow the map up to see depth numbers and other shoals.