Remedy for Biting Flys

Without using bug spray on my boat, the best thing I have found is to wear long pants, regular length socks, sneakers, a long sleeve T-shirt and a hat to swat the flies with (when my fly swatter isn't within reach). I've stopped wearing shorts, sandals and short sleeve shirts.

They're also real bad on the smaller inland lakes. I have found a true remedy yet.

The only product I have found that works on the ankle biters is buggspray. You can buy it online at amazon or eBay. Make sure you order the biting fly formula

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Thermal Cell. Used one on the boat a few weeks ago. Had to be 1000 flies on the boat, inside and outside. Turned the cell on and within 10 minutes there wasn't a fly anywhere to be found. Bugg Spray keeps them from biting you, but they are still pesky and annoying.

I swear by Ultra Shield !...I read some old posts on the Biting Fly problems, They were killing us out there so I went to Country Max and bought a bottle. It's for Horses and it works GREAT ! I only use a small spritz of the stuff on my legs and socks (very small ) and I did a few small sprays around the Boat, Been out 4 times since...NO  flys !

http://absorbine.com/products/fly-control/ultrashield-ex/

https://www.countrymax.com/Absorbine-UltraShield-EX-Insecticide-Repellent-32-Ounce/

I swear by Ultra Shield !...I read some old posts on the Biting Fly problems, They were killing us out there so I went to Country Max and bought a bottle. It's for Horses and it works GREAT ! I only use a small spritz of the stuff on my legs and socks (very small ) and I did a few small sprays around the Boat, Been out 4 times since...NO  flys !
http://absorbine.com/products/fly-control/ultrashield-ex/
https://www.countrymax.com/Absorbine-UltraShield-EX-Insecticide-Repellent-32-Ounce/

Ultra shield is NOT approved for use on humans. Contains powerful carcinogens it is also not to be used around any body of water as it is a powerful aquacide deadly to all water critters. Read the warnings on the label and on line. Be careful with that stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

We've tried a couple potions during this most fly heavy season. 1) Mint listerine dumped in a spray bottle--verdict?-- works very short term and then your ankles and boat are sticky. 2) dawn dish soap, regular formula--verdict?-- works better than the mouth wash. I think until it sweats off. 3) skin so soft by Avon--verdict?- works better than either of the above but the smell is so annoying its not worth it.

We have one more to try once we round it up-- pure mint oil. 

I am allergic to those little bastards bites so I wear long pants (jeans) with thick socks and for arms I use Buggspray - biting fly formula works but you must reapply often.  Supposed to be a NE wind this weekend so should not be as bad

3 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

Has anyone tried permitherine?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

We were issued some sort of permitherine in the military but it was extremely toxic and could only be applied to your clothing, but not while you were wearing the clothes. I stay away from that stuff.

We were issued some sort of permitherine in the military but it was extremely toxic and could only be applied to your clothing, but not while you were wearing the clothes. I stay away from that stuff.

I think the new stuff is a lot less toxic I buy the stuff at tractor supply made for spraying cattle and barns I even spray my dog with it works great for ticks and mosquitos don't know about the flies. I spray my hunting clothes with it no problem while wearing especially during spring Turkey. Sawyers makes it premixed you can buy at Wal-Mart or I buy concentrate and mix per the directions from tractor supply. Only thing i have seen it can really mess up is cats. For some reason it really affects feline nervous systems.

I mix it per the ratio for spraying on dogs. 1501264893785.jpeg

I actually started using it when trapping to spray my skinning shed to stop lice ticks mange from getting to my dog ect. Now all my fur goes in garbage bag in back of truck sprayed with permitherine before getting to shed then spray working area once a week. No issues yet. But can't say I blame you it is poison.

We've tried a couple potions during this most fly heavy season. 1) Mint listerine dumped in a spray bottle--verdict?-- works very short term and then your ankles and boat are sticky. 2) dawn dish soap, regular formula--verdict?-- works better than the mouth wash. I think until it sweats off. 3) skin so soft by Avon--verdict?- works better than either of the above but the smell is so annoying its not worth it.
[

Sent from my VS980 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

8 hours ago, Capt Vince Pierleoni said:

Vince, Let me know how the mint oil works? I've tried 2 and 3 of your list with a little success. Next on my list is lemon oil, will post how it works! 

Thanks, Bob